  Carlo Gambacorti: DIAG: 7 messages/ 3 PT Req.

To: HUM-MOLGEN@NIC.SURFNET.NL
Subject: DIAG: 7 messages/ 3 PT Req.
From: Carlo Gambacorti <GAMBACORTI@ICIL64.CILEA.IT>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 18:54:11 +0000
Date-warning: Date header was inserted by ICIL64.CILEA.IT

           HUM-MOLGEN  DIAGnostics/Clinical Research

This DIAG message contains  7 submessage(s),  3 patient requests:

1. Leber Hereditary Optic Neuropathy

2. misshaped chromosone 9/PT Req

3. Camurati-Engelmann disease

4. Pedidial oedema in a 28 wk old fetus

5. undiagnosed leukodystrophy/PT Req.

6. adrenoleukodystrophy/PT Req.

7. Chronic MyeloMonocytic Leukemia (CMML)

Carlo Gambacorti MD, Editor,            Agnes Tay, MD PhD, Asst Editor
Human Molecular Genetics Network
Diagnostics/Clinical Research Section

"copyright HUM-MOLGEN"

Dear Colleagues:

I have received a request for molecular diagnostic testing for Leber
Hereditary Optic Neuropathy. It is my understanding that this disorder is
caused by mutations in the mitochondrial genome, and that there are a few
major mutations which one intially analyzes for. I would greatly appreciate
if anyone testing for this disorder who would be willing to accept a
patient referral would contact me.

Karl V. Voelkerding M.D.
Medical Director of Molecular Diagnostics
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics
600 Highland Avenue
Madison, Wisconsin  53792-2472
Office (608) 263-8368
Fax (608) 263-1568
email: k.voelkerding@hosp.wisc.edu

Sirs,
        Do you have info on misshaped chromosone 9 in unborn fetus at l9th week
of gestation.  The mother had the fifth disease early in her pregancy
and the baby has the parvo virus, fluid in heart and abdomen,and
misshaped chromosone 9.

PLEASE REPLY DIRECTLY TO HUM-MOLGEN

Apparent Pt location:  US

A 31-year-old patient affected by Progressive Diaphyseal Dysplasia
(Camurati-Engelmann disease) asked me, as medical geneticist, about the
present state-of-the art of our knowledge on the molecular genetics of this
disease.
 In particular, he and his relatives (there are at least two other affected
relatives) are willing to send their blood to a laboratory involved in the
mapping the PDD gene.
 He would like to have a baby and is looking for a prenatal test.

I would be very glad to know who is presently working on the genomic mapping
of Camurati-Engelmann disease.

Nicola Migone
Associate prof. of Medical Genetics,
Dipartimento di Genetica, Biologia e Chimica Medica,
Universit` di Torino,
Via Santena 19
10126 Torino, Italy
fax: +39-11-674040.

Hi everybody,
We need assistance in counselling a woman who is 28 weeks pregnant.
At 22 weeks of gestation routine sonography showed edema of one foot.
Kariotype was 46,XY. Level 2 sonography and echo-cardiography were
normal. At 27 weeks edema extended to the other foot.
The parents are normal and the family history is normal.
We will appreciate your assistance in diagnosis or referral to
specialized lists.

Moshe Frydman MD
Genetics Institute
Sheba Medical Center
Tel-Hashomer
Israel
mfrydman@post.tau.ac.il
Fax 972-3-5302826
Phone 972-3-5302826

I want to say thanks for reading the below information and any help or
advise you could provide us would be most helpful as we have been living in
fear for over the last five months.  My husband is 40 years of age and has
been told he has a form of undiagnosed leukodystrophy.

CT SCAN OF THE BRIAN WITHOUT AND WITH CONTRAST 11/22/96
Pre contrast scan demonstrates extensive areas of low density involving the
cerebral white matter bilaterally. Some low density of the basal ganglia is
also noted symmetrically.  Posterior fossa structures appear normal.

Presently he is back to work full time and has been taking sansert for his
headaches which helps. We have seen other doctors who are puzzled on why he
looks good when defiantly the results of the MRI are so abnormal.

 I myself who is 38 years of age am trying to research as much as possible
for our family. My husband has been very snappy and living with this stress
is hard. WE have two daughter ages 9 and 13 and its scary to think this
might be genetic or even to know that they might not have a dad in 10 years
time.

Any help you can give us would be most appreciated.  As we were told if we
could find out what this it we could hopefully slow down the progression.

PLEASE REPLY DIRECTLY TO HUM-MOLGEN

or contact our neurologist is Dr. Hummer at 512-458-6121 He is very
supportive of any ideas in my husbands conditions.

Apparent Pt location:  US

> Sir,
>
> My name is xxxxxxx of xxxxx, Colorado. My two brothers have
> adrenomyeloneuropathy. They are currently near, ( what I am deeming as
> the final stages), of this terrible disease. I stumbled across your site
> and have been impressed with the in depth discussion of similar
> diseases.
> Dr's. M. Vorgerd, S. Fuchs, M. Tegenthoff, and J.P. Malin wrote a paper,
> published by this site related to adrenoleukodystrophy. Their combined
> knowledge is of great interest to me and my family members. I am curious
> to know if these individuals have other published articles.
>
> Additionally, I am interested in knowing if other members of this forum
> are aware of the tragic effects of this "Bloody" disease !
> The individuals of this forum appear to be at the
> fore-front of mutiple areas of medical investigation and resolution.
>
> Can you or other individuals of this forum provide me with a direction
> offering "promising" results ?

PLEASE REPLY DIRECTLY TO HUM-MOLGEN

Apparent Pt location:  US

Dear colleague,
        we are investigating the molecular nature and possible new treatment
modalities for Chronic MyeloMonocytic Leukemia (CMML).
        As you probably know,  some CMML patients harbor an hybrid TEL/PDGFR  gene
in their leukemic cells.
        We have identified from the fusion region of TEL/PDGFR (as well as from
other fusions) several peptides containing Class I binding motifs for common
HLA specificities. Our plan is to analyze their binding ability using
several HLA transfectants, and then to use them in vitro to induce a T-cell
specific response.
        As a parallel study we are using several small molecules able to inhibit
the kinase activity of ABL and PDGFR. We developed an assay to evaluate the
activity of these compounds on fresh leukemic cells, without the need for
using growth factors or clonogenic assays.
        CMML however is a rare disease and such a study can be successfull only if
samples can be obtained from several centers.
        We therefore ask your collaboration in sending us samples from untreated
CMML patients.
        Frozen  cells obtained from the peripheral blood or the bone marrow
(minimum 40 x 10E6) would be ideal.  Alternatively,  a 30 ml  peripheral
blood or  a (5 ml) BM sample  (collected in a sterile,  heparinized tube and
stored at 4 C° for no longer than 24-48 hours) could be used.
        I Thank you in advance for your help and cooperation.
        Sincerely,

Carlo Gambacorti-Passerini MD
Senior Investigator
Istituto Nazionale Tumori - OSD
Via Venezian 1
20133 Milano - Italy

Tel +39.2.239-0818
Fax +39.2.239-0764
E-mail GAMBACORTI@ICIL64.CILEA.IT

"copyright HUM-MOLGEN"

 HUM-MOLGEN - Internet Communication Forum in Human Genetics

 E-mail: HUM-MOLGEN@nic.surfnet.nl
 WWW: http://www.informatik.uni-rostock.de/HUM-MOLGEN/