  Bergen (ioi): CALL: various March 1997

To: HUM-MOLGEN@NIC.SURFNET.NL
Subject: CALL: various March 1997
From: "Bergen (ioi)" <A.A.BERGEN@AMC.UVA.NL>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 09:59:12 +0200

New CALLs!

The CALL section is open for requests and offers of information,
collaboration, help, finding persons or telephone numbers (NOT related
to diagnostic issues or patient requests), out-of print books and all other
kinds of non-trivial information-exchange.

You can reach over 4250 of your colleagues, and on average you may
expect up to twenty replies to a single message. This service is
absolutely FREE of charge. Help yourself by helping your colleagues!

-Please send high quality messages only, including full name, address
 and purpose.
-Please use the appropraite TOPIC subject heading in your message.
-Please state non-trivial questions only.
-Please reply by private E-mail only, unless your request is of
 general interest to the entire HUM-MOLGEN community

Other messages may be refused without further notification.

Good CALLs!!

Ann Shofield
Arthur Bergen

(CALL editors)

THIS CALL CONTAINS THE FOLLOWING MESSAGES

1) Genomic fragment of human adult beta- or alpha- globins needed
2) Twin Register
3) Educational question: Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome
4) Mice expressing floxed genes info sought
5) Information on Leber's Hereditary Optic Neuropathy (LHON) sought
6) Additional scientific info on pseudoxanthoma elasticum sought
7) Scientific Info about Molecular Cytogenetics offered
8) Scientific and clinical Info about Skin disorder: Lichen planus

To whom it may concern:
I need the genomic fragment of human adult beta- or alpha- globins. =
Would you offer me some free samples or would you tell me where I can
find them.
For more detailed information of my recent study please contact me.
Thank you very much.

Qian Kun
Department of Pediatric Cardiovascular Surgery
Xin Hua Hospital, Shanghai Second Medical University
1665 Kong Jiang Road, Shanghai 200092
People's Republic of China

E-mail: kqian@npc.haplink.co.cn
Fax: 086-021-62590122

This  message  was  originally   submitted  by
vajiradx@SRI.LANKA.NET  to  the
HUM-MOLGEN list at  NIC.SURFNET.NL.

The National Twin Register Sri Lanka was launched on 28/4/97.

To our knowledge this is the first population based Twin Register in
the developing world.

Details about the register is available at URL
http://infolanka.com/org/genetics

Contact us if you are interested in twin research and would like to
explore the possibility of undertaking projects or collaborations.

VISIT:
Genetic Disorders & Birth Defects Sri Lanka Collection
http://infolanka.com/org/genetics

Dr. Vajira H.W. Dissanayake

HOME: 8B, Summit Flats, Keppetipola Mawatha, Colombo 5, Sri Lanka.
OFFICE: Department of Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, University of
Colombo,
PO Box 271,Colombo, Sri Lanka.
TELEPHONE Home:[94-1]-581540 Office: [94-1]-691111 ext 645
E-MAIL: vajiradx@sri.lanka.net

This  message  was  originally   submitted  by
debbiestanley@JUNO.COM  to  the
HUM-MOLGEN list at  NIC.SURFNET.NL.

Dear Sir or Madam:
        I am a student at Virginia's Thomas Jefferson High School for
Science and Technology.  I and a partner, Pradeep Nair, are
conducting an extensive research project on the genetic disorder
albinism.  One of the project requirements is to exchange two informative
messages with a scientist currently doing research related to our
project.  If you are able and willing to participate in this brief
interview it would be most appreciated.  My partner and I are very
curious about the unusual symptoms of the rare Hermansky-Pudlak
Syndrome.  We would also like to know more about the many visual
abnormalities which result from all types of albinism.
Any information is appreciated.
                                Sincerely,
                                      Debbie Stanley

This message  was originally submitted  by ucgajwo@UCL.AC.UK to  the
HUM-MOLGEN
list at NIC.SURFNET.NL.

 Dear Colleagues,
Is anyone outside the Jackson lab maintaining a list
of floxed genes, or available mice expressing floxed genes that can be
used for tissue specific knock-outs? Any information would be gratefully
received.
Thankyou!

John N. Wood D.Sc.
Department of Anatomy and Developmental Biology
Medawar Building, University College
London WC1E 6BT
phone/FAX (44)-171-380-7800

Hi Folks,

I am looking for any information on
Leber's Hereditary Optic Neuropathy (LHON),
or people/institutes currently researching into LHON
and related (Mitochondrial) topics.

I am a trustee of the LHON Trust, a UK charity
 dedicated to gathering and distributing
information on this rare condition, and encouraging
research into it.

I am maintaining a WWW site dedicated to LHON and
related topics to further improve the spread of information
world-wide, and have had patients and their families
contact me from several countries already.  Any comments
on this site, especially suggested additional sources
of information, would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Jim Leeder
Jim@Leeder.demon.co.uk
http:/www.leeder.demon.co.uk/pages/LHONHome.htm
Tel: (+44) 181 568 3076

mail:
106 Whitestile Road
Brentford
Middlesex
TW8 9NL, United Kingdom

Leber's Hereditary Optic Neuropathy Trust
(Hon. Secretary Mrs. Teresa Handscombe)
13 Palmar Road
Maidstone,
Kent
ME16 ODL, United Kingdom

This message was originally submitted by jonjj@RSP.IS to the
HUM-MOLGEN list at
NIC.SURFNET.NL.

Inquiry.
I was recently consulted by a family with an isolated case of
pseudoxanthoma elasticum.  In reviewing the litterature and OMIM I
was struck by how vague the information was on mode of inheritance and
risks for other members of the family. I would therefore like to contact
medical and molecular geneticists with special expertise in this condition
for further information.

Sincerely yours,

Jon J. Jonsson, M.D., Ph.D.
Docent and Director
Department of Clinical Biochemistry
Landspitalinn - University Hospital of Iceland
Baronsstig
101 Reykjavik
ICELAND

Tel.: 011-354-560-1840
FAX:  011-354-560-1810
email:  jonjj@rsp.is

This  message  was  originally  submitted  by
e013mr02@AREA.BA.CNR.IT  to  the
HUM-MOLGEN list at  NIC.SURFNET.NL.

Dear Sir,
         I wonder if our site (Resources for Molecular Cytogenetics),
could be of interest to HumMol group:
http://bioserver.uniba.it/fish/rocchi/welcome.html

Yours sincerely

Mariano Rocchi

This  message   was  originally  submitted  by
rmital@IMB.OEAW.AC.AT  to  the
HUM-MOLGEN list at  NIC.SURFNET.NL.

Dear Colleagues

This is to request information on a dermatological problem. Can
anyone provide more information on LICHEN PLANUS. It is a skin disease and
the cause is not known. It seems to start as a tiny red patch sometimes
the size of pinhead sometimes bigger. It scratches initially and after a few
days it stops scratching, and the patch turns black. The mark stays for a
long timeon the skin. I am particularly curious about knowing what causes this
disease. Also if anyone knows a cure for it. Also how many people are
affected by it, and hoe does it vary geographically?

Thankyou
please respond to the email address given below

Dr. RENU MITAL
INSTITUTE OF MOLECULAR BIOLOGY
AUSTRIAN ACADEMY OF SCIENCES
BILLROTHSTRASSE 11