  Frank Zollmann: NEWS: in Bioscience and Medicine

To: Multiple recipients of list HUM-MOLGEN <HUM-MOLGEN@NIC.SURFNET.NL>
Subject: NEWS: in Bioscience and Medicine
From: Frank Zollmann <frank.zollmann@stud.uni-rostock.de>
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 1996 15:25:33 +0200

         HUM-MOLGEN News in Bioscience and Medicine

News in Bioscience and Medicine:
http://www.informatik.uni-rostock.de/HUM-MOLGEN/NewsGen/

HUM-MOLGEN WWW:
http://www.informatik.uni-rostock.de/HUM-MOLGEN/

Summary of recent postings:

1 | European Directory of DNA Laboratories (EDDNAL)
2 | The Lancet Online
3 | The Duchenne/Becker muscular dystrophy Data Pages
4 | Community of Science MEDLINE
5 | 10th INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON SECOND MESSENGERS & PHOSPHOPROTEINS
6 | Oncology Online Medical Information Services
7 | How to announce new Internet resources, press releases etc.

1 | European Directory of DNA Laboratories (EDDNAL)

| WWW: http://www.eddnal.com

The European Directory of DNA Laboratories (EDDNAL) is mainly intended
for clinical geneticists and molecular biologists. It provides contact
names and addresses for 280 DNA laboratories and details services on
385 genetic diseases.

2 | The Lancet Online

| WWW: http://www.thelancet.com

Offers full text summaries of selected articles from this premiere
medical journal of the United Kingdom. (Registration)

3 | The Duchenne/Becker muscular dystrophy Data Pages

| WWW:    http://ruly70.MedFac.LeidenUniv.nl/~duchenne/
| E-mail: ddunnen@ruly46.MedFac.LeidenUniv.nl

Currently, we are in the middle of setting up an Internet site for
Duchenne/Becker Muscular Dystrophy (DMD/BMD).
Although the site is still under construction, we believe it already
contains a considerable set of information, making it
worthwhile to announce it.

We hope the "Duchenne/Backer muscular dystrophy pages" will serve
as an informational resource and reference point for all people involved
in DMD/BMD-diagnosis. The site now displays information on:
the dystrophin gene (exons, their position in the cDNA, their numbering,
sizes and genomic spacing), order of markers in and around the
dystrophin
gene, a listing of all genomic dystrophin sequences in GenBank, Southern
blotting and cDNA-hybridizations (sizes and exon content of hybridizing
restriction fragments, annotated images of cDNA hybridizations),
haplotyping
(PCR-able CA-repeats), and a list of all known DMD/BMD (point)
(including a
list of polymorphisms in the dystrophin coding region and a list of
primer
pairs to amplify specific exons). In the near future we aim to transform
the "list of DMD/BMD point mutations" into a real DMD/BMD mutation
database.

The value of the pages will partly lie in researchers providing data
which
is not (yet) published. We hope it will stimulate many researchers to
comment
on the data supplied, to send updates and to submit unpublished data.
Many
laboratories will have valuable data sets which will never make it into
print,
often because of limited time and/or because the sum is considered too
small to justify the effort. Please, when you have information which
might
be interesting to other researchers and which could be linked to these
page,
send it to us.

Depending on the interest in the site, the feed-back obtained and the
opinions
gathered, we plan to extend the site by adding more general information
which
should be understandable for interested non-scientific people.

Looking forward to your reactions:

Dr. Johan T. den Dunnen, (E-mail:ddunnen@ruly46.MedFac.LeidenUniv.nl)
Dr. Egbert Bakker, (E-mail:bakker@ruly46.MedFac.LeidenUniv.nl)

MGC-Dept. Human Genetics, Leiden University, LEIDEN, the Netherlands

4 | Community of Science MEDLINE

| WWW:    http://cos.gdb.org/
| E-mail: pcl@bestpl.hcf.jhu.edu

Try MEDLINE searching today at http://cos.gdb.org

Community of Science has developed a powerful new Web version of MEDLINE
in collaboration with Johns Hopkins
University. It's free of charge now during our introductory promotional
period.

Please make sure your director of research and development is aware of
this new World Wide Web version of MEDLINE.

Among key features:

*Linkages from MEDLINE abstracts to biological databases
*Search technology from the Human Genome Project
*Download records to leading citation management software

Community of Science
410-563-2378
410-563-5389 (fax)

5 | 10th INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON SECOND MESSENGERS & PHOSPHOPROTEINS

| WWW:    http://bioinformatics.weizmann.ac.il
| E-mail: lhchalif@bioinformatics.weizmann.ac.il

Jerusalem, Israel, November 8 - 13, 1998

On behalf of the Israel Biochemical and Endocrine Societies and the
International Board of Conferences on Second Messengers and
Phosphoproteins,
you are cordially invited to participate in the 10th International
Conference
on Second Messengers & Phosphoproteins, November 8 - 13, 1998.

6 | Oncology Online Medical Information Services

| WWW: http://http://medserv.com/

Provides free Medline, Cancerlit, Aidline and Healthstar and daily news
feeds.
Full text content includes the Journal of the National Cancer Institute,
Cancer Investigation, and Advances in Oncology.
(Physician and Ph.D. membership registration.)

7 | How to announce new Internet resources, press releases etc.

You can announce (free) new Internet resources, press releases etc.
at
http://www.informatik.uni-rostock.de/cgi-bin/HMB/NewsGen/vw3news?postF

For other announcements please take a look at
http://www.informatik.uni-rostock.de/HUM-MOLGEN/hum/submit.html

| HUM-MOLGEN - Internet Communication Forum in Human Genetics        |
| E-mail: HUM-MOLGEN@nic.surfnet.nl                                  |
| WWW: http://www.informatik.uni-rostock.de/HUM-MOLGEN/              |
| Phone: 020-566 4598 (The Netherlands), (206) 386-2101 (USA)        |
| Fax: 020-691 6521 (The Netherlands), (206) 386-2555 (USA)          |