  Hans Goerl: ETHI: Scientific American article

To: Multiple recipients of list HUM-MOLGEN <HUM-MOLGEN@NIC.SURFNET.NL>
Subject: ETHI: Scientific American article
From: Hans Goerl <GENETHICS@delphi.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 1996 23:08:53 -0500

From: Bert Gold <bgold@ITSA.UCSF.EDU>

You may be interested in reading an article written for general audiences
entitled "Trends in Human Genetics: Vital Data" on pages 100-105 of the
March 1996 Scientific American by staff writer Tim Beardsley.

Not only does it contain excellent photographs of Francis (Collins)
sitting on his motorcycle [sorry Francis...] and Bill Haseltine
looking dapper in his best combed hair and new suit [sorry Bill],
but it also contains a worthwhile overview of the ELSI controversies
currently surrounding the genome project.

As most of you know I have rather strong opinions on most of these
issues, so I will spare you my repeating my feelings here;
nevertheless, I would say that this article by Beardsley is
a must read for anyone who wishes to understand human genetics today,
and as it is to be practiced into the future.

Bert Gold, Ph.D.
University of California, San Francisco
School of Medicine
Program in Medical Genetics

PS - Bill and Francis, I think you both look very fine in the article
     and hope that you find my remarks (at least a little) jocular.
      - Bert