  Jurg Ott: LITE: Linkage Newsletter

To: Multiple recipients of list HUM-MOLGEN <HUM-MOLGEN@NIC.SURFNET.NL>
Subject: LITE: Linkage Newsletter
From: Jurg Ott <ott@linkage.cpmc.columbia.edu>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 15:41:14 -0400

                   LINKAGE NEWSLETTER
               Vol. 10   No. 2   July 1996

Published by Jurg Ott, Columbia University, New York
     Email: ott@rockvax.rockefeller.edu
     WWW:   http://linkage.cpmc.columbia.edu

Postal address:
     Columbia University, Unit 58
     722 West 168 Street, New York, NY 10032

Editorial Assistant:
     Katherine Montague   Fax: 212-568-2750   Tel: 212-960-2507
     Email:    montagk@rockvax.rockefeller.edu

(this newsletter and all previous issues are available on our ftp
site/Web page: linkage.cpmc.columbia.edu)

EDITORIAL

     This 'summer' edition of the Newsletter is very short - a more
extensive edition will follow in the autumn.

LINKAGE COURSES

     The last linkage course at Columbia University was held June
24-28.  The next linkage courses will be at Rockefeller University
(and, as in the past, at the University of Zurich).  Dates are given
below. Interested researchers are urged to apply early as our courses
tend to fill up quickly:

     October 7-11, 1996, at University of Zurich, Switzerland (ad-
vanced course, maximum of 12 participants).  Deadline for applications
is August 20, 1996.

     October 14-18, 1996, at Rockefeller University (advanced course,
maximum of 20 participants, with preference to participants from U.S.
institutions and companies). Deadline for applications is August 30,
1996.

     To obtain information on these courses, please write to Katherine
Montague, course coordinator, by email (preferred) or fax.

     We will use our book (Terwilliger and Ott, "Handbook of Human
Genetic Linkage", Johns Hopkins University Press, 1994), with supple-
mental handouts for advanced courses.  Participants are expected to
buy the book and bring it to the course;  in case of problems please
contact Katherine Montague in advance of the course.  A list of
corrections for the book may be downloaded from our anonymous ftp
site, linkage.cpmc.columbia.edu (file corr_ter.txt in directory book).

OPEN POSITIONS

In our new Laboratory of Statistical Genetics at Rockefeller Universi-
ty, New York, we are looking for colleagues to join us in our efforts
to develop, implement, and apply methods of linkage analysis and
association to find genes underlying complex traits.  Positions are
open at the postdoctoral level, and faculty positions may be discussed
at any time.  We are particularly interested in researchers with a
good background in statistical genetics.  Rockefeller University is
located in a prime area in Manhattan, situated in a garden-like
campus.  The University's Starr Center for Human Genetics provides
diverse opportunities for application of new methods and active
collaboration on interesting data sets.
Valeria Brancolini, Marcella Devoto, Suzanne Leal, Tara Matise, Xiaoli
Xie, Thomas Lehner, Wentian Li, Jurg Ott

Support through grant HG00008 from the National Center for Human
Genome Research is gratefully acknowledged.