  Frank S. Zollmann: NEWS: in Bioscience and Medicine

To: Multiple recipients of list HUM-MOLGEN <HUM-MOLGEN@NIC.SURFNET.NL>
Subject: NEWS: in Bioscience and Medicine
From: "Frank S. Zollmann" <Frank.Zollmann@rz.uni-rostock.de>
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 1996 18:21:41 +0200

          HUM-MOLGEN News in Bioscience and Medicine

News in Bioscience and Medicine:
http://www.informatik.uni-rostock.de/HUM-MOLGEN/NewsGen/

HUM-MOLGEN WWW:
http://www.informatik.uni-rostock.de/HUM-MOLGEN/

Summary of recent postings:

1  | Welcome to TUMORI OnLine (TOL)
2  | The EST Machine
3  | National Cancer Institute's Physician Data Query (PDQ)
     statements (beta release)
4  | THE MERCK MANUAL OF DIAGNOSIS AND THERAPY
5  | Automated DNA Sequencing Newsgroup
6  | MOLECULES and MEDICINE
7  | World Wide Web Journal of Biology
8  | Confronting Cancer Through Art
9  | ImMunoGeneTics database
10 | Welcome to Scottish Enterprise Biotechnology Group
11 | The Biotech BiblioNet
12 | Organising Medical Networked Information
13 | How to announce new Internet resources, press releases etc.

1 | Welcome to TUMORI OnLine (TOL)

| WWW: http://www.cilea.it/tumori/
| E-mail: gambacorti@icil64.cilea.it

TUMORI is the oldest Italian cancer journal.
TOL is designated to increase the knowledge and diffusion of
articles published inside TUMORI.
Visitors are encouraged to send comments on the articles
directly to the authours or to TOL.

TUMORI is the Official Journal of Societŕ Italiana di Cancerologia
(SIC) and Associazione Italiana di Oncologia Medica (AIOM)
and is property of the Istituto Nazionale per lo studio e la
Cura dei Tumori (National Cancer Institute),
Milan, Italy (Franco Rilke, Director)

TOL has been prepared and is managed by Carlo Gambacorti and,
from a technical point of view, by CILEA

2 | The EST Machine

| WWW: http://office4.tigem.it/pages/ESTmachine.html
| E-mail: borsani@tigem.it

- The EST Machine is a directory of links to bioinformatics
  resources for Expressed Sequence Tags analysis.

- This resource is maintained by Giuseppe Borsani at the
  Telethon Institute of Genetics and Medicine - TIGEM

3 | National Cancer Institute's Physician Data Query (PDQ)
    statements (beta release)

| WWW: http://oncolink.upenn.edu/pdq_html/
| E-mail: tdilling@mail.med.upenn.edu

OncoLink Press Release: July 23, 1996 -
The University of Pennsylvania Cancer Center

We would like to inform the Internet community of the
preliminary (Beta 2) release of OncoLink's hypermedia versions
of the National Cancer Institute's Physician Data Query (PDQ)
statements. The Hypermedia PDQ Project is supported, in part, by
grants from the National Cancer Institute and the National Action
Plan on Breast Cancer.

In this release, we have provided some unique enhancements to
these PDQ statements, designed specifically to assist our
readers:
1) Links to full abstracts for all journal articles cited.
2) hypermedia glossary of terms for the "patient-oriented" statements

For more information, point your web browser to:

http://oncolink.upenn.edu/pdq_html/

4 | THE MERCK MANUAL OF DIAGNOSIS AND THERAPY

| WWW: http://www.merck.com/!!qpRmU0yhYqpRmU2PGT/pubs/mmanual/

The Merck Manual debuts on the Web! Access is free,
although first time users must register.

5 | Automated DNA Sequencing Newsgroup

| WWW: http://www.bio.net:80/hypermail/AUTOMATED-SEQUENCING/
| E-mail: bkq@ornl.gov

AUTOMATED-SEQUENCING/bionet.genome.autosequencing is a moderated
newsgroup for discussion and assistance on issues related to automated
DNA sequencing and analysis of such fragments as microsatellites and
single-strand conformational polymorphisms.
To reach any BIOSCI/bionet newsgroup via WWW http://www.bio.net/ ,
click on "Access the BIOSCI/bionet Newsgroups,"
then on the desired newsgroup. Users can read, reply to, or post
new messages through the Web site if their browsers are
configured properly to send e-mail.
To subscribe by e-mail from the Americas or Pacific rim, send a message to
biosci-server@net.bio.net; leave the subject line
blank and enter subscribe autoseq in the message body. To subscribe from
Europe, Africa, or central Asia, send help in the
message body to mxt@dl.ac.uk to retrieve general server-usage instructions.

6 | MOLECULES and MEDICINE

| WWW: http://bioinformatics.weizmann.ac.il/hotmolecbase/
| E-mail: lvrebhan@weizmann.weizmann.ac.il

HotMolecBase is an easily accessible database containing informations about
molecules that are thought to be involved in diseases. The informations include
a list of diseases where the particular molecule is thought to be involved, the
cellular functions, a list of agonists and antagonists, some key references and
email addresses of contact persons. Since it is a very new site, it contains
only
a limited number of entries. But if you would like to contribute to it, and if
you think your own molecule of interest should be included in HotMolecBase,
write
email to "lvrebhan@weizmann.weizmann.ac.il".

7 | World Wide Web Journal of Biology

| WWW: http://www.epress.com/w3jbio/
| E-mail: editor@epress.com

The World Wide Web Journal of Biology is a peer-reviewed journal free to all
readers.The journal features interactive molecules, movies, sound files, color
graphics, 3D coordinates, links to medline from references, links to databases,
resources and much more. http://epress.com/w3jbio
Lester F. Harris, PhD
Editor-in-Chief
editor@epress.com

8 | "Confronting Cancer Through Art"

| WWW: http://www.oncolink.upenn.edu/ccta/
| E-mail:  sfrye@math.upenn.edu

Anyone who has ever been touched by cancer should check out
"Confronting Cancer Through Art" an online exhibition at
http://www.oncolink.upenn.edu/.
This is a unique exhibition that gives vision and voice to the
experiences of all those who have confronted cancer. It includes
nearly 200 works by 112 artists.

Many of the artists are cancer survivors who used their art as a means
of coping with or expressing their feelings about their illness. Others
created their works in response to the illness of a family
member or friend.

When the University of Pennsylvania Cancer Center and the Arthur Ross
Gallery put out a call for submissions, they didn't know what to expect.
Because the response was so great, they expanded the exhibition to a
second gallery. Still, it was not enough to accommodate all of the works
that deserved to be seen. Thus, the idea for a Virtual Gallery was born.

Many of the works are also on display at the Arthur Ross and Meyerson
Hall galleries on the campus of the University of Pennsylvania in
Philadelphia, PA. The exhibition runs through August 25. It is free
and open to the public.

9 | ImMunoGeneTics database

| WWW: http://imgt.cnusc.fr:8104
| E-mail: lefranc@ligm.crbm.cnrs-mop.fr (Marie-Paule Lefranc)
| Anonymous FTP: ftp://ftp.ebi.ac.uk/pub/databases/imgt/
  (LIGM-DB annotated sequences)

                      Description

IMGT is an international database specializing in Immunoglobulins,
T-cell receptors (LIGM-DB) and MHC molecules (MHC/HLA-DB) of all
species, initiated and coordinated by Marie-Paule Lefranc, of the
University Montpellier II and CNRS, Montpellier (France).
IMGT is produced in collaboration between LIGM (Laboratoire
d'ImmunoGénétique Moléculaire, Montpellier, France), EMBL-EBI
(Hinxton, UK), IFG (Institut für Genetik, Köln, Germany),
ICRF (Imperial Cancer Research Fund, London, UK) and BPRC
(Biological Primate Research Centre, Rijswijk, The Netherlands).

IMGT comprises LIGM-DB (17 888 Immunoglobulin and T cell receptor
sequences of which 6 804 are fully annotated, from
78 different species), MHC/HLA-DB (class I and class II Human
Leucocyte Antigen alignments) and DNAPLOT (a tool for
Immunoglobulin, T-cell receptor and Major Histocompatibility
Complex molecules sequence analysis). LIGM-DB fully
annotated sequences are also available at the EBI WWW server :
http://www.ebi.ac.uk/imgt/.

10 | Welcome to Scottish Enterprise Biotechnology Group

| WWW: http://www.sebiotech.org.uk/biotech/
| E-mail: tony@COMMUNICATA.CO.UK

You are invited to visit the Scottish Biotechnology Group site
the definitive site for information on Biotechnology companies in
Scotland. The site provides a convenient way to disseminate
current information of interest to companies, research institutions
and individuals with an interest in the biotechnology industry in
Scotland.

Those interested in finding potential partners for R&D, manufacture
and testing within the biotechnology industry should visit
this site.

If you find the site to be of interest a hypertext link to the site
your site would be much appreciated.

Best regards
Tony Purcell
Communicata Limited
+44 131 662 9798

11 | The Biotech BiblioNet

| WWW: http://www.apollo.co.uk/a/pcr/
| E-mail: dyann@schmidel.com

The Biotech BiblioNet (a monthly bibliography of recently published
biotech articles) has been relocated to the following
address:
                                http://schmidel.com/biotech.htm

This web site now features a search utility and direct links to
online abstracts.

12 | Organising Medical Networked Information

| WWW: http://omni.ac.uk/

I would like to draw your attention to the OMNI project. Sue Welsh,
a librarian at The National Institute for medical Research,
London is guiding a collaborative effort to build a database of
evaluated Internet sites providing high quality information for
Medicine and Bioscience. The location and a concise summary and
evaluation of the quality of the data of the sites are
provided.

The address is :                http://omni.ac.uk

The present database has some sort of British penchant but otherwise
is highly recommendable as a starting point for Internet
searches in the Medical / Bioscience field.

Best regards

Hermann Graf
(hermann.graf@bmg.boehringer.com)
Scientific Information
Boehringer Mannheim GmbH
Tutzing Germany

13 | How to announce new Internet resources, press releases etc.

You can announce (free) new Internet resources, press releases etc.
at http://www.informatik.uni-rostock.de/cgi-bin/HMB/NewsGen/vw3news?postF

For other announcements please take a look at
http://www.informatik.uni-rostock.de/HUM-MOLGEN/hum/submit.html

| HUM-MOLGEN - Internet Communication Forum in Human Genetics        |
| E-mail: HUM-MOLGEN@nic.surfnet.nl                                  |
| WWW:    http://www.informatik.uni-rostock.de/HUM-MOLGEN/           |
| Phone: 020-566 4598 (The Netherlands), (206) 386-2101 (USA)        |
| Fax:   020-691 6521 (The Netherlands), (206) 386-2555 (USA)        |