  Hans Goerl: No Subject

To: Multiple recipients of list HUM-MOLGEN <HUM-MOLGEN@NIC.SURFNET.NL>
From: Hans Goerl <GENETHICS@delphi.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 1995 21:33:46 -0400

From: Leslie Biesecker <leslieb@HELIX.NIH.GOV>

To the editor,
I hope that Kris Hawley has received approval from a human subjects or
institutional review board before soliciting samples for the purpose of
genetic research.  I am not familiar with the regulations in Canada, but I
assume (and hope) that Canada has a system of human subjects protection
similar to that of the US.

This brings up a more general point with the HUM_MOLGEN service.  I would
encourage all correspondents to be clear about whether the testing they are
offering is of a service or research nature.  If the service is part of a
research protocol, that should be clearly stated and should be approved by
an IRB.  The solicitation of research subjects is a sensitive issue and
should be done with proper oversight.  I appreciate that the editor may not
be able to screen solicitations for a variety of reasons but it may be
prudent to institute some sort of self-policing of these requests.

Leslie Biesecker
NIH/NCHGR
Bldg 49 Room 4A80
Bethesda, MD 20892
Phone 301-402-2041
Fax 301-402-2170
Email leslieb@helix.nih.gov

EDITORS' REPLY:This is  an excellent point. HUM-MOLGEN's editors will confer
to determine whether an editorial policy is needed or feasible as soon as
possible. Suggestions from subscribers as to what that policy could or
should be are solicited. If somebody out there has a copy of the CFR
regulations or any Canadian or other regulations covering such
solicitations, please forward them to HUM-MOLGEN or contact us to make
arrangements for s-mail delivery.