  Arthur Bergen: CALL: various messages

To: HUM-MOLGEN@NIC.SURFNET.NL
Subject: CALL: various messages
From: Arthur Bergen <a.bergen@ioi.knaw.nl>
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 11:31:18 MET

New CALLs!

The CALL section is open for requests and offers of information,
collaboration, help, finding persons or telephone numbers (NOT related
to diagnostic issues or patient requests), out-of print books and all
other kinds of non-trivial information-exchange concerning genetics.

You can reach over 5000 of your colleagues, and on average you may
expect up to twenty replies to a single message. This service is
absolutely FREE of charge. Help yourself by helping your colleagues!

-Please send high quality messages only, including full name, address
 and purpose.
-Please use the appropraite TOPIC subject heading in your message.
-Please state non-trivial questions only. -Please reply by private
E-mail only, unless your request is of
 general interest to the entire HUM-MOLGEN community

Other messages may be refused without further notification.

Good CALLs!!

Arthur Bergen
Min Ae Lee
Abdel Hakim Ben Nasr
(CALL editors)

This CALL contains the following subjects:

1) Gene transfer into CNS
2) Search engine for sientists
3) Grants by the National Niemann-Pick Disease Foundation
4) Cell line data base

1) Gene transfer into CNS

Hello there,
I am currently preparing to scale up some in vitro work to in vivo for
intracerebral gene transfer. I currently am working with liposomal
transfection of in vitro astroyctes which have "matured" in culture for
three weeks and acheived transfection efficiencies of about 3%.
I would like to ask for input from those on the list who have experience
in gene transfer to brain.  I am specifically wondering what sort of
vectors seem to give the best transfection efficiencies in vivo. By
efficiency, I mean the number of cells transfected versus number of cells
not transfected. The current literature I have seen seems to indicate it
to be rather low (less than 5%).  For instance, Peel et. al. (Gene
Therapy, 4:16-24) seemed to have about 2500 positive cells in a 2.2 mm
length of spinal cord slices following aav transduction with a NSE
promoter (Green Flourescent Protein reporter).
What sort of efficiencies are people achieving in their labs (1%, 10%
>20%?).  What vectors seem to be working best?
Thanks in advance,

David McKalip, M.D.
Neurosurgery Chief Resident
david_mckalip@unc.edu
University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill
Personal Homepage: http//www.unc.edu/~dmmckali
UNC Neurosurgery Website: http://sunsite.unc.edu/Neuro

2) Search engine for sientists

Dear colleague,
I wish to inform you of the existence of a new search engine designed by
scientists, Biolinks (http://www.biolinks.com).  We offer a broad list of
scientific companies, journals, associations & societies, software for
scientists, meetings, publishers, national organizations, medical sites,
career opportunities, research tools & databases, a university and a
national organization listing and a BioBoard.
Biolinks is a unique search engine since a member of our staff has visited
each site listed on our search engine.  Thus, the information listed on our
site is relevant to our needs as researchers.
Please take time to visit Biolinks, the address is http://www.biolinks.com/
The search engine is useful since you can type in a product (ex. pipette,
antibody) or a city to facilitate your search.  Also, the search engine is
similar to medline, no needs for Boolean expressions like AND & OR.  The
search engine is fast and simple, without having to browse through hundreds
or thousands of results to your simple query as you would expect to receive
at other internet search engines.
We would appreciate your help by informing your colleagues of the existence
of Biolinks and forwarding this email to people that would find our site of
interest.  By doing so, you will be helping colleagues to find a resource
that is of value. You are als
o welcome to give us feedback on our site, to adapt it to your needs.
Please be assured that this is not "spam" and your email will remain
confidential within our organization.
Thank you for your consideration,
Sincerely,

Dr. Luc Levesque Ph.D.
Biolinks' Webmaster
http://www.biolinks.com/

3) Grants by the National Niemann-Pick Disease Foundation

The National Niemann-Pick Disease Foundation offers grants for research
into the cause,
effects, and/or treatment of Niemann-Pick Disease.  Past grants have ranged
from $10,000
to $160,000.  All applications are reviewed by the Foundation's Scientific
Advisory
Board. The deadline to apply for the current round of grants is June 1,
1998.  Grant proposals
submitted after that date would be considered in the next round of grants
(January
1999). For more information, please contact
Marie Zahner
Director of Research
421 Grace Hill Road
Jamesburg, NJ 08831
Information concerning past grants, Niemann-Pick disease, and current
research efforts
can be found on the Foundation's website at http://www.nnpdf.org
Douglas Pease
webmaster@nnpdf.org
National Niemann-Pick Disease Foundation Inc.

4) Cell line data base

Dear all,
this is to announce you that a new version of HyperCLDB has been
set up and is available at the following URL:
http://www.biotech.ist.unige.it/cldb/indexes.html
HyperCLDB is the hypertext version of the Cell Line Data Base,
devoted to information on availability of human and animal cell
lines within European collections and laboratories.
Among the others are:
- European Collection of Animal Cell Cultures - ECACC (818 cell lines, UK),
- German Collection of Cell Cultures - DSMZ (265 lines, DE),
- German Cancer Research Center - DKFZ (267 lines, DE),
- Istituto Pediatrico Gaslini (822 lines, IT)
- Russian Cell Culture Collections (526 lines, RU)
- Centro Genetica Umana - Istituto Galliera (652 lines, IT)
- Interlab Cell Line Collection - ICLC (100 lines, IT)
- Istituto Zooprofilattico Brescia (203 lines, IT)
See you soon on HyperCLDB! Paolo Romano

Paolo Romano
Biotechnology Department, Advanced Biotechnology Centre
Largo Rosanna Benzi, 10, I-16132, Genova, Italy
Tel: +39-10-5737-288  Fax: +39-10-5737-295
 Email: paolo@ist.unige.it

Min Ae Lee, M.D.
Assistant Editor
Human Molecular Genetics Network
Molecular Genetics and Genetic Epidemiology
Cardiovascular Division
Department of Medicine
Brigham and Women's Hospital
Harvard Medical School