  Edward Wilcox: BIOT: March-April 1998

To: HUM-MOLGEN@NIC.SURFNET.NL
Subject: BIOT: March-April 1998
From: Edward Wilcox <edwilcox@pop.nidcd.nih.gov>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 12:17:23 -0500

New BIOTs!

The BIOT section is open for requests and offers of information regarding
molecular biology and molecular genetics (protocols, techniques, products,
collaboration, etc.).

You can reach over 5016 of your colleagues, and on average you may expect
up to twenty replies to a single message. This service is absolutely FREE
of charge. Help yourself by helping your colleagues!

-Please send high quality messages only, including full name, address and
purpose.
-Please use the appropriate TOPIC subject heading in your message.
-Please state non-trivial questions only.
-Please reply by private E-mail only, unless your request is of general
interest to the entire HUM-MOLGEN community

Messages may be refused without further notification.

Edward Wilcox
Trevor M. D'Souza
(BIOT editors)

This BIOT message contains:

        1) A request for information on constructing full length cDNA libraries
        2) Do you know where we may get a chromosome 17 cosmid library?
        3) A search for sheep probes, cell lines and information
        4) Help in PCR amplification
        5) A search for software to estimate similarities to known DNA
sequences
        6) Does anyone have a suggestion of a small laboratory animal whose
           growth plate closes with sexual maturity?

     We are working on genome analysis in pigs, and we are going to make a
cDNA library. Since we want expression of a specific gene (we don't know
the size or anything about nucleotide composition; positional cloning), we
need as many full length cDNAs as possible. Does anybody know a simple, but
efficient way of enriching for full lengths? References to papers would be
nice too.
Best regards, and thank you

Trine Winteroe
akw@kvl.dk
Department of Breeding and Genetics
The Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University
Groennegaardsvej 3
1870 Frederiksberg C, Denmark
Dear colleagues:

Do you know where we may get specific chromosome cosmid library (i.e.
Chromosome 17)? Or what would be the most efficient approach to map a newly
cloned gene? Your assistance or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Sidong Fu, M.D.
sfu@UMARYLAND.EDU
University of Maryland
Tel: 410-706-4225 (lab)
Fax: 410-706-0020
Dear Colleagues

At the moment we are working on UV-induced squamous cell carcinoma  in
humans and sheep. We are looking for information on:

sheep genetics
sheep cell lines
sheep DNA probes.

Does anyone has any information about these subjects. It would be
appreciated very much.

Dr. W. Kalle
 wkalle@csu.EDU.AU
Lecturer in Molecular Biology
School of Biomedical Sciences
Charles sturt University
P.O. Box 588
Wagga Wagga NSW 2678
Australia

phone 069-332409
fax 069-332587

Schools home-page:
http://www.csu.edu.au/faculty/health/biomed/
I'm trying to amplify a region of DNA.  I was getting PCR product but it
included many different sized fragments.  I thought it might be my primers
so I did a PCR with only one of each of my primers.  With each primer
individually, I got product!  My region is G+C - rich (about 75%) so I used
7-deaza-dGTP (ratio of 3/1 with dGTP).

Are my primers amplifying regions that can self-prime? Does this have
anything to do with the high G+C? Should I design new primers or is there
something I can do to fix my product?

Thank you very much,
Shannon Bradley
s_bradl@hartco.ca (Shannon Bradley )

McGill University
Department of Human Genetics
1033 Pine Avenue
Montreal, Quebec
CANADA
Dear Colleagues

I am trying to find out software programs either on the internet or PC
based that can be used for searching for similarities to known DNA
sequences and to determine homology if any.  Would be most grateful if you
could help me out here.
Thanks

E. Cline Ph.D.
ecline@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca

Having studied aspects of pathology of the femoral head of rats, we find
the fact that these animals' growth plates remain open throughout life,
disturbing. Does anyone have a suggestion of a small laboratory animal
whose growth plate
closes with sexual maturity?
Thanks in advance for your help.

jhboss@netvision.net.il (J. H. Boss)