  Arthur Bergen: CALL: various July-August 1997

To: HUM-MOLGEN@NIC.SURFNET.NL
Subject: CALL: various July-August 1997
From: Arthur Bergen <a.bergen@ioi.knaw.nl>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 17:09:18 MET

New CALLs!

The CALL section is open for requests and offers of information,
collaboration, help, finding persons or telephone numbers (NOT related
to diagnostic issues or patient requests), out-of print books and all
other kinds of non-trivial information-exchange concerning genetics.

You can reach over 4250 of your colleagues, and on average you may
expect up to twenty replies to a single message. This service is
absolutely FREE of charge. Help yourself by helping your colleagues!

-Please send high quality messages only, including full name, address
 and purpose.
-Please use the appropraite TOPIC subject heading in your message.
-Please state non-trivial questions only. -Please reply by private
E-mail only, unless your request is of
 general interest to the entire HUM-MOLGEN community

Other messages may be refused without further notification.

Good CALLs!!

Ann Schofield
Arthur Bergen

(CALL editors)

**************************
This CALL contains the following subjects:

1) mitochondrial diseases: MELAS update
2) Human origins based on DNA evidence
3) Polymorphism review in Olfactory receptors wanted
4) Request for assistance for a television-series
5) Segregation analysis in genetically complex diseases

***************************

From: Mike <melas@POSEIDON.NET>
Subject:      Open invitation to physicians, facilities, and support
orgs. Hello Folks,

This post is an open invitation to doctors, medical facilities, and
support organizations working with mitochondrial myopathies and
related disorders.

The next volume of the "MELAS Primer 1997" is in the editing stage.
It's a Adobe Acrobat 3.0 PDF file available at the "Downloads" page at
the MELAS Online Network's website at:

<http://www.poseidon.net/melas>

This is an opportunity to have your contact information made available
world-wide in a Internet-ready publication that is specifically
oriented to provide information in layman's terms about the MELAS
Syndrome and other related disorders.  The Primer contains a list of
facilities that treat mitochondrial disorders, and it needs to be
expanded to include more US domestic and international contacts.  We
were recently made very aware of the scarcity of facilities in some
parts of Europe, and of the former Soviet Union, and in parts of the
Third World, and would especially like to include the contact
information of facilities in these parts of the world. The Primer PDF
file has printing permission for situations where an individual may
not have Internet access, but would be able to obtain a hardcopy from
some one who does.  The Primer is current available in the English
language only.

Please feel free to download the current volume, and review it to see
if you would be interested in having your contact info added to the
next volume.  It is viewable on any platform or operating system
simply by downloading the appropriate version of the Adobe Acrobat
Reader 3.1 (also available via a link at the "Downloads" page).

The information that you provide would need to include the following:

1. Facility/Organization Name
2. Website Address (if available)
3. Phone number(s)
4. Postal Address, & Actual Location Address (if different from postal
address) 5. A statement identifying yourself and your position within
your facility/organization, and stating permission to use your
facility/organization's information in the Primer.

Very sincerely yours,
-------
           - Mike Jackson (41)  [.]=[.]  <melas@poseidon.net>
      MELAS Online Network: <http://www.poseidon.net/melas>
        Mitochondrial Support List:

**************************

This message  was originally submitted  by psychaf@EMORY.EDU to  the
HUM-MOLGEN list at NIC.SURFNET.NL.

Last month we had a discussion on the Neanderthal/human distinction
based on DNA evidence.  Our discussion then is relevant to a book
reviewed in the Sunday New York Times Book Review Section(8/17/97)
pg.10 on The Origins of Modern Humanity.  The book entitiled African
Exodus by Christopher Stringer and Robin McKie published by Henry Holt
is reviewed by Robert Richards of the U. Chicago who authored Darwin
and the Emergence of Evolutionary Theories of Mind and Behavior. The
origins and racial overtones of the controversy based on the
"multiregionalist" theory in comparison to the "out of Africa" theory
is apparently presented in this publication. While the reviewer notes
that the authors support an intermediate position because of "fair
evidence" that "inbreeding occurred between Neanderthals and
Cro-Magnons (more recently Homo sapiens)", it is surprising that there
is no mention in his review of the recent mitochondrial DNA findings
which do not find evidence of a gene flow between the contrasted
species.

Arthur Falek

*********************

likalush@MEMBRAN1.WEIZMANN.AC.IL to
the HUM-MOLGEN  list at NIC.SURFNET.NL.

Hello
I am working in polymorphism of Olfactory Receptors. I would like to
know whether there is a good update review in human polymorphism.
Thank you in advance Francis Kalush

--
Francis Kalush, PhD.
Department of Membrane Research and Biophysics

**********************

kodegard@netcom.ca (Kristen Odegaard) sent the following comments:

Greetings,

I am currently doing research for a television series,
Gene Roddenberry's Earth:  Final Conflict. I am looking for
scientists with an intrest in Science Fiction to help with
'Technological Jargon'.  Our series is placed in the near
future and includes a biologically engenieered race of aliens,
with advanced genetic technology.

Are there any experts willing to take a few minutes and answer
questions or offer feasible situations?

If this request can be accommodated, please email me at:
kodegard@netcom.ca

Thank You,
Kristen Odegaard
Assistant Art Director

*******************

BmgRB@aol.com (iris Baumgartner) sent the following comments:

Call for informations about clinical gene therapy trails.
Ethical and social issues. Collaborations in cardiovascular medicine.
------------------------------------------------------------ From:
Mary Anne Williams <maryanne@WHY.NET> To: ED-MOLGEN@NIC.SURFNET.NL

I am a biology teacher in an Advanced Placement workshop that is
training teachers for teaching Advanced Placement biology in high
schools.  We have been discussing genetic disorders   and one that we
have discussed is sickle cell anemia.  As you probably know in a
malaria environment the sickle cell trait gives an advantage to the
heterozous person. We are looking for other traits that show
heterogous advantage.  Can you help?

Mary Anne Williams
mawilli@why.net

katja.bromen@UNI-ESSEN.DE to  the
HUM-MOLGEN list at  NIC.SURFNET.NL.

***********************

Hello!

I would like to do a segregation analysis on a data set containing
information on various familial, non-familial environmental and other
environmental factors for both cancer cases and controls.  I heard
about GAP and would like to know whether anybody in this circle has
already used the package and could decribe his/her experience with it
or could give me any other advice about the program most suitable for
the situation described above.

Thank you very much!

Sincerely,

Katja Bromen

******************************************************************* *
Katja Bromen                                                    * *
Statistician, MPH                                               * *
Institut fuer Med. Informatik, Biometrie und Epidemiologie      * *
Universitaetsklinikum                                           * *
Hufelandstr. 55                                                 * * D
- 45122 Essen                                                 * *
Germany                                                         * *
                                                             * * Tel:
+49 - 201 - 723-4517                                       * * Fax:
+49 - 201 - 723-5933                                       * * e-mail:
katja.bromen@uni-essen.de                               *
Dr. Arthur A.B. Bergen
Department of Ophthalmogenetics
The Netherlands Ophthalmic Research Institute (IOI)
Royal Academy of Sciences of the Netherlands (KNAW)

** Snail-mail: **           ** FAX: **             ** E-mail: **

P.O.Box 12141               (+31)206916521         A.Bergen@IOI.KNAW.NL
1100 AC  Amsterdam
The Netherlands