  Arthur Bergen: BIOT: various July-August 1997

To: HUM-MOLGEN@NIC.SURFNET.NL
Subject: BIOT: various July-August 1997
From: Arthur Bergen <a.bergen@ioi.knaw.nl>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 16:33:40 MET

New BIOTs!

The BIOT section is open for requests and offers of information
regarding molecular biology and molecular genetics (protocols,
techniques, products, collaboration, etc.).

You can reach over 4250 of your colleagues, and on average you may
expect up to twenty replies to a single message. This service is
absolutely FREE of charge. Help yourself by helping your colleagues!

-Please send high quality messages only, including full name, address
and purpose. -Please use the appropriate TOPIC subject heading in your
message. -Please state non-trivial questions only. -Please reply by
private E-mail only, unless your request is of  general interest to
the entire HUM-MOLGEN community

Messages may be refused without further notification.

Edward Wilcox
Arthur Bergen
(BIOT editors)

This BIOT message contains:

1) RT-PCR GADP pseudogene
2) Methylation-sensitive RDA
3) Collaboration asked for K+ channels on chromosome 3
4) Telomerase inhibitors in vivo
5) LDL binding assays
6) endometrial premalignant lesions as well as frank endometrial
tumors asked 7) antibody against human Facc protein wanted

**********************

This message  was originally  submitted by
michael_kern@SMTPGW.MUSC.EDU  to the
HUM-MOLGEN list at  NIC.SURFNET.NL.
                      MISC: GAPDH pseudogene?

We are performing RT-PCR on some human tissue samples and have made
primers to GAPDH as a positive control.  These primers are from the
first and fith exons, therefore they should generate about a 320 bp
band when amplifying fully processed mRNA (cDNA) or a 2.2 Kb band when
amplifying genomic DNA. However, when we perform PCR on human genomic
DNA we obtain a 320 bp band.  We believe we have eliminated the
possibility that the DNA is contaminated  by RNA or the possibility
that the PCR reaction (reagents) is contaminated.  At this time we
believe the only other explanation is that the human genome has a
pseudogene for GAPDH.   We have checked the Genbank databases and find
no evidence for a GAPDH pseudogene.

Has anyone else ever experienced this same (or similar) problem?

Is there any evidence for a GAPDH pseudogene?

Thank you for any comments/suggestions.

Michael J. Kern, Ph.D.
E-mail: kernmj@musc.edu

cskua@mailhost.unimas.my (C.S.Kua) sent the following
comments:

Dear everyone,

I am interested to find out more about methylation sensitive RDA. Any
information would be much appreciated. Thank you very much.

Yours sincerely,
C.S.Kua

Institute of Health & Community Medicine
Universiti Malaysia Sarawak
94300 Kota Samarahan
Sarawak
Malaysia

Fax : 6-082-671903
Tel : 6-082-671000 ext282
e-mail : cskua@mailhost.unimas.my

***********************************

ariazi@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (Ali Riazi/H McDermid) sent the following
comments:

Dear Colleagues,

We have a gene with high similarity to subunits of Ca+2-activated
potassium channels on chromosome 3. Would someone be interested to
collaborate with us on further mapping and characterization of this
gene.

Thanks

Ali Riazi/ H. McDermid
Department of Biological Sciences