  Arthur Bergen: BIOT: September 1997

To: HUM-MOLGEN@NIC.SURFNET.NL
Subject: BIOT: September 1997
From: Arthur Bergen <a.bergen@ioi.knaw.nl>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 16:55:21 MET

New BIOTs!

The BIOT section is open for requests and offers of information
regarding molecular biology and molecular genetics (protocols,
techniques, products, collaboration, etc.).

You can reach over 4250 of your colleagues, and on average you may
expect up to twenty replies to a single message. This service is
absolutely FREE of charge. Help yourself by helping your colleagues!

-Please send high quality messages only, including full name, address
and purpose. -Please use the appropriate TOPIC subject heading in your
message. -Please state non-trivial questions only. -Please reply by
private E-mail only, unless your request is of  general interest to
the entire HUM-MOLGEN community

Messages may be refused without further notification.

Edward Wilcox
Arthur Bergen
(BIOT editors)

This BIOT message contains:

        1) Help in finding a benchtop PCR hood with UV light.
        2) Can two female ovums be combined for the purpose of creating an
           embryo?
        3) The use of antisense oligonucleotides in sheep.
        4) A request for information on "recanconstat"
        5) A new WEB site for Hearing, Seeing, and Smelling the World.
        6) Information request for any special genetic qualities of native
           Americans
        7) A need for information on XIST.
        8) A researcher would like to find some PT430
        9) Is there a relationship between the process of protein synthesis
           and the CMT genetic disease
       10) A request for information on the names an addresses of Institutions
           performing sequencing of the reverse transcriptase.
       11) A request for information on teratogenic effects of alcohol.
       12) Help in defining what role mitochondrial-DNA less cells have on
           hydrogen peroxide levels.
       13) How does one isolate genomic DNA from paraffin-embedded tissue
           sections.
       14) A new WEB site for PCR and multiplex PCR guidelines.

Hello:

   I've been trying to find a benchtop PCR hood with UV light. Could anyone
give me any suggestions? (brand names, comments?)

Thanks
Dr. Juan Carlos Morales
Juan Carlos Morales <morales@CUBSPS.BIO.COLUMBIA.EDU>

   What would the process entail if there were to be the joining of two
female ovums for the purpose of creating an embryo.  What equipment is used
to split and join the cells to start meiosis?  Is there anyone who has or
is performing this procedure?

Greg Douglas
Gregdoug@aol.com
Dear colleagues:

   I'm thinking of using an antisense oligonucleotide to study the effect
of the inactivation of an autocrine factor in sheep embryos. In doing so, I
should be able to inactivate the function of this factor at the mRNA level
and measure the effects of its non-expression. Do you think this will work?
What other methods should I use to evaluate the lack of an autocrine factor
upon cells?

Thanks for your suggestions.

A. Crespo
PhD Student
University of Kansas Med. Center
acrespo@kumc.edu
   A friend of mine has heard about a new experimental drug in Germany
called "recanconstat"  Any information you can give me on this would be
appreciated.

Thank you
Server protocol: HTTP/1.0
Remote host: ttyE10.ott.igs.net
Remote IP address: 207.210.11.18
karenlg@igs.net (Karen Gilroy)
>From the Howard Hughes Medical Institutions:

Hearing, Seeing, and Smelling the World

http://www.hhmi.org/senses/

A colorful, animated website, with articles and illustrations, entitled
"Seeing, Hearing and Smelling the World: New Findings Help Scientists Make
Sense of Our Senses." Contents include: Stunning visual illusions. How we
see colors. Discovering a "deafness" gene. A view of brain scans that spy
on the senses. The mystery of smell. New evidence of specialized cells in
the nose that receive sexual information. Glossary.

It is an educational resource valuable to biology and science teachers, as
well as being interesting and informative for the general public.

Thank you,

Philip Rink Jr
On behalf of HHMI
prink@MAIL.BCPL.LIB.MD.US

   Please direct me to documentation regarding the special genetic
qualities of native Americans.  I am interested in researching this
topic.  We are developing a Cultural Center and Library in Texas for
intertribal studies and this information would be interesting.
Thank you
M. L. Harris, Ed.D.
mlhinc@swbell.net

   Hello, I am an Honors Genetics student looking for current insights into
dosage compensation links between species (mammals, Drosophila) -Nature,
March 1997.  I need information on XIST and its ability to recognize the X
chromosome specifically.  Can anyone help?
Please answer to
lcruise@mustang.uwo.ca
Dear Colleagues:

   One of my colleagues is carrying out a study relating to the mechanisms
of methotrexate(MTX) resistance in patient samples. He needs some PT430
(N-(4-Amino-4-deoxy-N10-methlpteroyl) - N-(4'-fluoresceinthiocarbamyl) -
L-lysine), a fluorescent MTX analog. Can you tell me where my colleague can
purchase it or if you can kindly offer some to him. If you have any
questions please e-mail me at kqian@npc.haplink.co.cn or write directly to:
Ye Hui, M.D.
Dept. of Pediatric Hematology
Xin Hua Hospital, shanghai Second Meidcal University
1665 Kong Jiang Road
Shanghai, 200092
People's Republic of China

   What is the relationship between the overall process of protein
synthesis and the CMT genetic disease?

Thanks
Khaldoun Aboulhosn
aboulhosn@HOTMAIL.COM
Dear Editors,

   Can you provide me with names and addresses of Institutions performing
sequencing of the reverse transcriptase and the protease gene within  the
European Community ? I am looking for companies with reasonable prices and
in a close vicinity to Germany:

University Hospital Eppendorf,
Martinistr. 52
D-20246 Hamburg
GERMANY
stellbri@uke.uni-hamburg.de

  I am currently engaged in researching the latest findings regarding the
teratogenic effects of alcohol in relation to genetics and subsequent
behavioral effects.  Any information/referencing concerning this topic
would be appreciated.

Psychology Department @ Lakehead University, Care of Dr. Paul K. Satinder
955 Oliver Road
S.W@Rocketmail.com
Fellow colleagues,

   I am presently working on a paper that focuses on the role
mitochondrial-DNA less cells have on hydrogen peroxide levels in avian cell
lines.  Since it is logical to assume that H2O2 production would be an
abberrant result of an error at the terminal electron acceptor of the
electron transport system, can you predict any other potential sources? In
a past study, individuals who received aspirin (a known ETS-uncoupler)
showed a lower incidence of colon cancer.  How could one relate aspirin's
uncoupling effect to a lower incidence of colon cancer? Thank you for your
support.

                                                Yours truly,

                                                Andrew Pilon

Send Ideas To:pilona@muss.cis.mcmaster.ca

   I would like to receive a good protocol to isolate genomic DNA from
paraffin-embedded tissue sections.

Dept Immunology
Marques de Valdecilla University Hospital
39008 Santander
Spain
hospif01@sarenet.es
Dear Sirs,

   A new web site has recently been developed at Indiana University. This
site is dedicated to helping researchers and technologists solve various
problems they might encounter while performing PCR and multiplex PCR
reactions.  This link includes many pages, each dedicated to one aspect or
parameter of the PCR reaction. There are about 45 gel pictures, all
described and discussed, to help for a better understanding of the various
parameters.

The URL is:
"http://medgen.iupui.edu/~ohenega/PCR.html"

For more information, please contact:

Octavian Henegariu, M.D.
E-mail: ohenega@iupui.edu

 ______________________________
Octavian Henegariu, M.D.
Indiana University, IB #130
975 W Walnut Street
Indianapolis, IN 46202-5251
Tel: 317-274-1054; Fax:317-278-1616
E-mail: "ohenega@iupui.edu"
Dr. Arthur A.B. Bergen
Department of Ophthalmogenetics
The Netherlands Ophthalmic Research Institute (IOI)
Royal Academy of Sciences of the Netherlands (KNAW)

** Snail-mail: **           ** FAX: **             ** E-mail: **

P.O.Box 12141               (+31)206916521         A.Bergen@IOI.KNAW.NL
1100 AC  Amsterdam
The Netherlands