  Jurg Ott: COMP: request for software

To: Multiple recipients of list HUM-MOLGEN <HUM-MOLGEN@NIC.SURFNET.NL>
Subject: COMP: request for software
From: Jurg Ott <ott@linkage.cpmc.columbia.edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 13:49:52 -0500

From: Ian MacLachlan <ianmac@MMG2.IM.MED.UMICH.EDU>

Regarding the topic of sequence analysis software:

> From: Jeff Farrow(Www) <Fencerex@AOL.COM>
> Let me put in a word for DNASTAR; it is a very good program and comes in Mac
> and windows versions.

I would have to disagree with the above statement. In my experience
DNASTAR on the Mac is a clumsy package. It consists of several modules
which run as separate programs, the modules do not really integrate very
well. If you are working in one folder with the sequence editing module
and open the mapping module the mapping module will open in a completely
different folder requiring you to navigate back to the one you were
working in. There are frequent updates in the software...if you are
running on a network you had better have a patient sys-admin because
he/she will be busy. In my experience some of the modules work
poorly...the sequence contig module, for example, does not work at all on
our systems at the moment.

Notwithstanding the above statements DNASTAR is a huge improvement over
GCG in terms of the user interface and overall friendly-ness.

I would recommend Intelligenetics "Geneworks" package. This package is
very stable, very complete and was written by people who have been in the
business of writing this type of software for years. I have never had a
problem with Geneworks. In my present workplace I am forced to use
DNASTAR .... Oh how I long for the good old days.....

All of the above statements are only my humble opinions of course. I hope
that I have not offended anyone, in particular DNASTAR.

Ian MacLachlan Ph.D.