  Jurg Ott: COMP: DNA software use

To: Multiple recipients of list HUM-MOLGEN <HUM-MOLGEN@NIC.SURFNET.NL>
Subject: COMP: DNA software use
From: Jurg Ott <ott@linkage.cpmc.columbia.edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 10:03:21 -0400

From: HERMANN EIBEL <EIBEL@NZ11.UKL.UNI-FREIBURG.DE>

We are using DNAStar for Windows. Basically, the program contains all
you need but unfortunately,theindividual programs are somtimes a little
complicated to handle and, much worse, DNAStar is not very stable
(even with 32MB RAM).
The file exchange with other programs (like Vector NTI from
ATCC) is also problematic since DNAStar writes a few comments into
ASCII files containing DNA sequences which prevent such files from
being opened by other programs. The search algorithms in the DNAStar
program Geneman must be terrible since it takes for hours to run
simple homology  searches with short sequences against Genbank
subsets. In our experience it is much faster to search directly at
Genbank or EMBL via the internet using their WWW services.

Hermann Eibel
Klinische Forschergruppe f. Rheumatologie
Klinikum der Universitaet Freiburg
Breisacher Str. 64
D-79106 Freiburg, Germany
Tel.: 49 - 761 - 270 - 5294