  Martin Kennedy: BIOT: Various items

To: Multiple recipients of list HUM-MOLGEN <HUM-MOLGEN@NIC.SURFNET.NL>
Subject: BIOT: Various items
From: Martin Kennedy <MKENNEDY@chmeds.ac.nz>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 1995 14:04:27 +1200

Date sent:  1-SEP-1995 13:58:48

This message contains 3 items:

1. Long oligo synthesis:
2. cDNA library construction from cell free systems:
3. Non radioactive YAC screening

8<  =======================  cut here  ======================= >8
1. Long oligo synthesis:

8<  =======================  cut here  ======================= >8

8<  =======================  cut here  ======================= >8
3. Non radioactive YAC screening

>Hi!
>
>Has anyone tried using the non-radioactive systems to probe HIGH-DENSITY YAC
COLONY filter (yeast)?
>We have conducted some pilot experiments with Digoxigenin system of
Boehringer-Mannheim and ECL
>and Fluorescein Gene Images labelling and detection system of Amersham
International.

>Our preliminary attempts have not been very successful as we get high
background, non-specific
>hybridisation, non-uniform signal strength and spots all over the membrane
(due to alkaline
>phosphatase?). There is also a major problem with the reproducibility
of the results. We have
>followed the protocols, precautions etc. as recommended by the manufacturers
of these kits.

>I am now interested in knowing if anyone else has tried these kits for YEAST
COLONY filter
>hybridisations and has had  any success? If a large number of replies are
received, I will summarise and re-post to this group.

>Ramnath Elaswarapu (Dr)
>e-mail: relaswar@hgmp.mrc.ac.uk

Cheers,

Martin Kennedy, Arthur Bergen