  Arthur Bergen: CALL: various

To: Multiple recipients of list HUM-MOLGEN <HUM-MOLGEN@NIC.SURFNET.NL>
Subject: CALL: various
From: Arthur Bergen <bergen@AMC.UVA.NL>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 1995 15:15:16 +0100

Note from the editor:

3 CALLS; 1 REPLY -- see below

1) CALL: p16 promoter
2) CALL: Genetics PhD program wanted
3) CALL: cryptic splicing in knockout mice
4) REPLY: to agness' call 14 sept.

It is HUM-MOLGEN policy to combine list communication with person to
person E-mail. Please reply to CALLs for or offers of assitance
with private E-mail, unless your reply is of general interest to the
entire HUM-MOLGEN list.

Good CALLs!

Arthur Bergen (HUM-MOLGEN owner)

From: "Prof.ssa G. Bianchi Scarra'" <vanceci@IGECUNIV.CISI.UNIGE.IT>
Subject: p16 promoter

Dear sirs,

we are searching for p16 promoter sequence or subcloned regions of p16
promoter in order to study transcriptional regulation of this gene.

thanks for your kind assistance.

Subj:   WANTED: Genetics PhD program with mentors who study psychiatric genetics

From: Vic Yuschuk       vy001d@UHURA.CC.ROCHESTER.EDU
Subject: WANTED: Genetics PhD program with mentors who study psychiatric
 genetics

I am a senior in the undergraduate molecular genetics program at U Rochester
with an A.A.S. in biotech and some experience in a neuroscience lab.  I
would like to study molecular genetics and end up working in psychiatric
genetic research.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  At this moment I am
looking for PhD programs that offer mentors who work on human genetics,
especially psychiatric genetics (very hard to find), but I have been told
that I should not specialize before post-doc fellowships.  Any advice would
be GREATLY appreciated.

Vic Yuschuk

Subj:   CALL,DIAG,BIOT: cryptic splicing in knockout mice

This message  was originally submitted  by ness@AECOM.YU.EDU to  the HUM-MOLGEN
list at NIC.SURFNET.NL.

does anyone know of any papers dealing with a cryptic splice site in the
neo cassette in knockout mice. I've been told several papers examined the
issue but i can't find any in medline.

---

Seth L. Ness                         Ness Gadol Hayah Sham
ness@aecom.yu.edu
reply

Subj:   reply to sep 14 query by Agnes

Hi- To Agnes>

This is in response to your query, dated Sept. 14, 1995.
We use the ABI 373A with fluorescent primers for:
1. Duchenne/Becker Muscular Dystrophy multiplex quantitative PCR (2
multiplex reactions, 9 and 10 bands each) for carrier detection, and for
deletion and duplication analysis in patients.
2. Fragile X analysis of query affected patients and carrier detection in
females, or normal transmitting males- size of repeat is measured.
3. Microsatellite analysis for identity/zygosity testing, bone marrow
transplant followups/12 markers.
4. SMA quantitative analysis of deletion of the SMN gene (deleted in 98.6%
of affecteds), to detect carriers and affected individuals and use this
information for diagnosis- this test is in the process of being evaluated.

Dr. Paula Strasberg
Associate Director, Molecular Diagnostic Laboratory
The Hospital for Sick Children
Asst. Professor, Dept. of Clinical Biochemistry
University of Toronto
Phone 813-6751, FAX 813-5086, email pstras@sickkids.on.ca