  Arthur Bergen: BIOT: for August

To: HUM-MOLGEN@NIC.SURFNET.NL
Subject: BIOT: for August
From: Arthur Bergen <a.bergen@ioi.knaw.nl>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 14:49:20 MET

New BIOTs!

The BIOT section is open for requests and offers of information
regarding molecular biology and molecular genetics (protocols,
techniques, products, collaboration, etc.).

You can reach over 5016 of your colleagues, and on average you may
expect up to twenty replies to a single message. This service is
absolutely FREE of charge. Help yourself by helping your colleagues !

- Please send high quality messages only, including full name,
address and purpose.
- Please use the appropriate TOPIC subject heading in your message.
- Please state non-trivial questions only.
- Please reply by private E-mail only, unless your request is of
general interest to the entire HUM-MOLGEN community

Messages may be refused without further notification.

Edward Wilcox
Trevor M. D'Souza
(BIOT editors)

This BIOT message contains:

1)  Is there a better method than alkaline phosphatase direct labeling with
    chemiluminescence detection for DNA probes?
2)  How does one evaluate if overloading the oocyte protein synthesis system
    upon injection of cRNA has occurred?
3)  A search for a lysogenic strain of E. coli whose lytic genes are under the
    control of a temperature-sensitive (or other inducible) promoter/suppressor
    and which can be selected against using an antibiotic resistance gene.
4)  Will someone provide references regarding the genes for long QT syndrome?
5)  A desire to obtain an actin promoted neomycin gene.

Dear Sir/Madam:

Is there anyone with experience in using alkaline phosphatase direct
labeling and chemiluminescence detection? I would like to use Alkaline
Phosphatase labeling on an oligonucleotide probe (~ 30 mers). There are two
kits we are considering (Amersham and Boehringer). Any suggestions would be
appreciated.

Sincerely,
Pornprot Limprsert M.D., Ph.D.
Human Genetics Unit
Department of Pathology
Faculty of Medicine
Prince of Songkla University
Had Yai, Songkhla 90110
Thailand
Tel: 66-074-212070 to 9 ext 1584
Fax: 66-074-212908, 212903
Dear Colleagues,

I am doing some experiments in which proteins are expressed by injecting
cRNA (for potassium channels) into Xenopus oocytes.  From the whole cell
current I can roughly calculate how many channels are on the surface
membrane--which turns out to be a lot.  I want to figure out if I am
overloading the oocyte protein synthesis system.  How should I evaluate
this?  Two figures would help me.  First, what is turnover rate of, say,
ion channels in oocyte.  Second, what is the surface membrane protein
density.  Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Zheng Jie
jie.zheng@yale.edu
Dear colleagues,

I am currently looking for someone who could supply me with a lysogenic
(lambda?) phage strain whose lytic genes are under the control of a
temperature-sensitive (or other inducible) promoter/suppressor and which
can be (ideally) selected against a resistance gene. Of course an E.
coli lysogen with the same properties as above would work as well.
We would be very glad if someone could give us such a strain.

Thank you very much in advance for your help,

regards,

Stefan Schmidt
Schmidt Stefan <Stefan.Schmidt@GPC-AG.COM>
Dear Colleagues,

I have several patients with long QT syndrome and family DNA samples. What
we want to do now is analyze these samples with specific PCR primers to
identify any recognizable mutations or alterations.

It would be very helpful if someone can provide the information or
references for the DNA or mRNA sequence for the genes of long QT syndrome
so that we can design several primers.

Thanks in advance.

Min Yoo
Department of Biology
Keimyung University
Taegu, 704-701
Korea

Tel and Fax) 82-53-580-5537

E-mail) ymin@kmucc.keimyung.ac.kr

Min Yoo, Ph.D.
ymin@kmucc.keimyung.ac.kr
Dear Colleagues,

        Does anyone have a neomycin gene under the actin promoter that they
are willing to share with me.

Lisa Shang <shangl@MUSC.EDU>
Remote IP address: 128.23.125.145
Dr. Arthur A.B. Bergen
Department of Ophthalmogenetics
The Netherlands Ophthalmic Research Institute (IOI)
Royal Academy of Sciences of the Netherlands (KNAW)

** Snail-mail: **           ** FAX: **             ** E-mail: **

P.O.Box 12141               (+31)206916521         A.Bergen@IOI.KNAW.NL
1100 AC  Amsterdam
The Netherlands