  Arthur Bergen: BIOT: December 1997

To: HUM-MOLGEN@NIC.SURFNET.NL
Subject: BIOT: December 1997
From: Arthur Bergen <a.bergen@ioi.knaw.nl>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 09:51:48 MET

Date:          Thu, 15 Jan 1998 11:09:18 -0500
From:          Edward Wilcox <edwilcox@POP.NIDCD.NIH.GOV>
Subject:       BIOT for December
To:            ED-MOLGEN@NIC.SURFNET.NL

New BIOTs!

The BIOT section is open for requests and offers of information
regarding molecular biology and molecular genetics (protocols,
techniques, products, collaboration, etc.).

You can reach over 4250 of your colleagues, and on average you may
expect up to twenty replies to a single message. This service is
absolutely FREE of charge. Help yourself by helping your colleagues!

-Please send high quality messages only, including full name, address
and purpose. -Please use the appropriate TOPIC subject heading in your
message. -Please state non-trivial questions only. -Please reply by
private E-mail only, unless your request is of  general interest to
the entire HUM-MOLGEN community

Messages may be refused without further notification.

Edward Wilcox
Arthur Bergen
(BIOT editors)

This BIOT message contains:

        1) An interest in molecular modeling programs.
        2) An interest in the background of the HuTu 80 cell line.
        3) An interest in how to purify hCG.
        4) A question concerning viruses.
        5) An interest in the average diameter of allergens.
        6) What is the genomic organization of the human TGF-beta 1 gene?

        1)  An interest in molecular modeling programs

   I have some problems to solve on protein folding. Does anyone know if
there is a molecular modeling program that allows to know how changing an
amino acid may affect the folding of the mature protein? Or how the same
changed amino acid might affect a dimeric or trimeric structure?

Thank you for any suggestion
Ludovica Volpi
ludovica@imr.gov.my
Remote IP address: 202.184.120.39
        2) An interest in the background of the HuTu 80 cell line.

   The HuTu 80 cell line was established from a duodenal adenocarcinoma in
a 53 yr. old male. Does anyone know if that person had Familial Adenomatous
Polyposis or alternatively has anyone found an APC mutation in these cells?

Thanks
Joanne Young PhD
Senior Scientist
Conjoint Gastroenterology Laboratory
Bancroft Centre, 300 Herston Road, Herston Q4029 Australia
joanney@qimr.edu.au
phone: 61 7 3362 0490
fax:     61 7 3362 0108
        3) An interest in how to purify hCG

Dear Colleague,
We want to purify hCG from the urine of pregnant females, but our first
attempt at chromatography yielded very little product. Can we use
electrophoresis for separation of alpha & beta hCG?
Please reply us as soon as possible!
With my best regards,
Happy Holiday,
Sincerely Yours
Firouzeh Biramijamal
Department of Biochemistry
Faculty of Medical Sciences
Tarbiat Modarres University
P.O.Box 14155-4838
Tehran I.R.IRAN
e-mail beyrami@nrcgeb.as.ir
        4) A question concerning viruses.

   I am a high school student with a question concerning viruses. Please
correct me if I am wrong in anything I say. I am speaking of the lysogenic
cycle. A virus enters the cell and becomes a provirus usually. Because the
virus would be destroyed if a lytic virus entered the cell it would make
sense for the lysogenic virus to either destroy other viruses or keep them
out of the cell. It would also be a waste for other identical viral
particles to infect the cell. I also realize that many animal viruses have
a membranous envelope from the cell onto which they have placed their own
glycoproteins for recognition purposes. When the virus enters it leaves
some glycoproteins on the cell membrane and it adds some before it exits.
Taking this into consideration, I wondered if viruses have the ability to
change the outside of the cell so that other viruses could not recognize
the cell while maintaining what is necessary for the cell to function.

Justin
Server protocol: HTTP/1.0
Remote host:
Remote IP address: 32.96.49.180
olmbickf@bellsouth.net
        5) An interest in the average diameter of allergens.

   Does anyone know of a good literary source that lists the average
diameter of allergens associated with common household animals? I am
working on a masters' thesis dealing with indoor air pollution abatement
systems. I need the average sizes of the allergens(e.g., Fel d I, etc.)
from their associated sources, i.e., cats, dogs, etc.
   My background is in chemical engineering and we often refer to C.E.
Lapple's well known "Size and Characteristics of Airborne Particles" chart.
Unfortunately, none of the allergens are listed.

Thank you very much!
Malcolm Windsor
mwindsor@futura.net
        6) What is the genomic organization of the human TGF-beta 1 gene?

   Could anyone out there supply me with data on the genomic organization
(including intron sizes) of the human TGF-beta 1 gene? If not, does anyone
have a genomic clone containing the TGFB1 gene that they would be willing
to send me?

Thank you very much for your help.
Fernando Gibson, Senior Research Scientist
GEMINI RESEARCH LTD
162 Science Park, Milton Road
Cambridge, UK
CB4 4GH
Tel:    +44 (0)1223 435320
Fax:    +44 (0)1223 435301   Email: fernando.gibson@gemini-research.co.uk
Dr. Arthur A.B. Bergen
Department of Ophthalmogenetics
The Netherlands Ophthalmic Research Institute (IOI)
Royal Academy of Sciences of the Netherlands (KNAW)

** Snail-mail: **           ** FAX: **             ** E-mail: **

P.O.Box 12141               (+31)206916521         A.Bergen@IOI.KNAW.NL
1100 AC  Amsterdam
The Netherlands