  GENETHICS: PLEASE READ

To: HUM-MOLGEN@NIC.SURFNET.NL
Subject: PLEASE READ
From: GENETHICS@delphi.com
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 1998 23:10:26 -0500

HUM-MOLGEN has experienced an increasing problem with requests to
unsubscribe and to change topics being sent to the list. With over 4,800
subscribers, many of whom are quite mobile, this creates an additional
burden to our volunteer editors. If you change e-mail addresses, and wish to
 continue to receive HUM-MOLGEN posts, PLEASE unsubscribe from your current

address before subscribing from your new address.

ALL ADMINISTRATIVE COMMANDS, INCLUDING UNSUBSCRIBING/SIGNOFF MUST BE SENT TO
 THE ADMINISTRATIVE ADDRESS WHICH IS:

LISTSERV@NIC.SURFNET.NL

            ******HUM-MOLGEN--SUMMARY OF INSTRUCTIONS******

A: SUBSCRIBING AND UNSUBSCRIBING

You can subscribe to HUM-MOLGEN by sending the message "SUBSCRIBE
HUM-MOLGEN first_name last_name"  to LISTSERV@NIC.SURFNET.NL

You can unsubscribe from  HUM-MOLGEN at any time by sending the message
"SIGNOFF HUM-MOLGEN"  to LISTSERV@NIC.SURFNET.NL

Each of these commands should be sent as the sole information in
a mail message FROM THE EMAIL ADDRESS AT WHICH YOU WISH TO
RECEIVE MAIL.  Similarly, you can only UNSUBSCRIBE from that same
address.  The "subject" line of each message should be left blank.

*******Please note that the only way to change your e-mail mailing address
is to first UNSUBSCRIBE from your old address and then SUBSCRIBE from your
new address********

PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CANCEL YOUR SUBSCRIPTION OR CHANGE TOPICS BY
SENDING MAIL ADDRESSED TO HUM-MOLGEN.

B. TOPICS.

Topics is  a unique feature of HUM-MOLGEN which allows subscribers to
choose the types of messages they receive. Until they choose to use this
feature, all subscribers automatically receive all messages distributed
over HUM-MOLGEN.

You can choose TOPICS to receive by sending a message containing
the command:

"SET HUM-MOLGEN TOPICS: xxxx" to the address LISTSERV@NIC.SURFNET.NL (not to
HUM-MOLGEN itself). "xxxx" is a list of the topics you wish to receive,
such as BIOT COMP ANNO etc.  If you want to "switch off" a TOPIC, use a
minus sign in the message, eg : -BIOT etc. If you later wish to "switch on"
a topic use a "+" sign Current TOPICS are ANNOuncements, BIOTechnology,
COMPuting, DIAGnosis, ETHIcal and social, LITErature, MISCellaneous and
NEWS.

C: SENDING MESSAGES TO THE LIST

This is the simple part. To send a message which you wish to send out to all
4800+ subscribers to HUM-MOLGEN, just send it to "HUM-MOLGEN@nic.surfnet.nl.
It will be reveiwed by our editors and, if appropriate, distributed to the
subscribers. About 95% of all messages received are distributed. We do
however edit out the occasional requests from students wishing subscribers
to do their homework for them as well as purely commercial messages.

HUM-MOLGEN'S editors assume that all requests which might lead to the
exchange of identifiable human tissue samples or the identities of research
subjects will be made only by individuals participating in projects which
have been subject to appropriate institutional internal review procedures.
Any subscriber violating this requirement will be removed from the list.

    ____________

D. POSTING NOTICES TO HUM-MOLGEN'S WWW SITE:

 Many routine postings of meetings, jobs, etc are not sent to the list, but
are posted at our web site. To post such messages, go to the following URL's
and follow the directions.

Meetings:
Go to http://www.informatik.uni-rostock.de/cgi-bin/meetings.pl?write1

Positions:
Go to http://www.informatik.uni-rostock.de/cgi-bin/positions.pl?write0

News:
Go to http://www.informatik.uni-rostock.de/cgi-bin/HMB/NewsGen/vw3news?postF

Company registration:
Go to
http://www.informatik.uni-rostock.de/HUM-MOLGEN/biotech/companies/Register.ht
    ml

If you are familiar with the World Wide Web then you may wish to
visit our homepage, which provides many useful links, documents
and resources.  The URL is:

        http://www.informatik.uni-rostock.de/HUM-MOLGEN/index.html
A USA mirror site can be found at:
        http://linkage.rockefeller.edu/hum-molgen/

To contact HUM-MOLGEN by telephone

  |   Phone:    020-566 4598 (The Netherlands),  (206) 386-2101 (USA)  |
  |   Fax:      020-691 6521 (The Netherlands),  (206) 386-2555 (USA)  |

Thank you for your attention to these matters

The HUM-MOLGEN editors-Arthur Bergen, Jurg Ott, Frank Zollman, Carlo
Gambacorti, Hans Goerl, and Robert Resta.

Invaluable technical support for HUM-MOLGEN is provided by Kai Garlipp.