  Bergen (ioi): CALL: september 1996; various

To: Multiple recipients of list HUM-MOLGEN <HUM-MOLGEN@NIC.SURFNET.NL>
Subject: CALL: september 1996; various
From: "Bergen (ioi)" <A.A.Bergen@AMC.UVA.NL>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1996 14:34:33 +0200

New CALLs!
On 4p related syndromes, genetics and autism (abstract), a CALL from China,
CALL about gene therapy in India, and about a dominant skin disorder:
Darriers disease.

The CALL section is open for requests and offering of help and
collaboration, info etc.

Please send high quality messages only kindly stating purpose and full
reply adress. Low quality messages or messages not related to Genetics or
molecular biology will be refused without further notification.
(Please divert molecular biology or biotechnology request to the BIOT TOPIC)

Good CALLs

Arthur Bergen

From:          Chris Newman <chrisn@lowestoft.ac.uk>
Subject:       Company querry

chrisn@lowestoft.ac.uk (Chris Newman) sent the following comments:

I a Learning Resources Assistant at an English College library
(Lowestoft College)
and am trying to track down the address and phone number of a
Californian based biotechnology company called ESCA Genetics Corporation.

I am writing on behalf of a student who has been set an assignment on the
biotechnology industry and needs information about this particular company.

Any information would be very useful

Thank you for your time

Christopher Newman

Subject: diagnosis+call from China

yijang.h@public.hk.hq.cn (Huang yijiang) sent the following comments:

  I want to get the reagent for detecting the antibody of
chlamydia penumonia in serum.
  Other,hope to get the informations about asthmatic gene.

Server protocol: HTTP/1.0
Remote host: ppp32.hk.hq.cn
Remote IP address: 202.100.193.32
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 1996 12:01:40 +0100
From: Nick Jacobsen <jacobsen@CARDIFF.AC.UK>

jacobsen@cardiff.ac.uk (Nick Jacobsen) sent the following comments:

Institute of Medical Genetics,
U.W.C.M.,
Heath Park,
Cardiff, CF4 4XN

Hello there,
           I am working on Darier's disease, a dominant skin disorder.
I am attempting to positionally clone the gene that causes this disease
(on chr12q24). My latest piece of work involves cDNA selection. My request
for this is a collaboration with anybody who could provide me with a human
adult epidermal cDNA library, preferably one that has been prepared from
random hexamer generated cDNA. If anyone can help me with this it would be
much appreciated as there seems to be a shortage of good commercial
skin derived libraries.

Thank you in advance for your help

Nick Jacobsen.

Server protocol: HTTP/1.0
Remote host: sorrel.hensa.ac.uk
Remote IP address: 194.83.240.4
>From mfrydman@post.tau.ac.ilFri Oct 11 14:06:33 1996

Hi,
Do anyone know the E-mail of Dr. M.J. Dixon at the department of cell
biology, the University of Mancester?
Please send to Moshe Frydman mfrydman@post.tau.ac.il
Thanks

This  message  was originally  submitted  by  Teresa.Binstock@UCHSC.EDU to  the
HUM-MOLGEN list at  NIC.SURFNET.NL.

I am editing a new autism manuscript (not by me) and need several
additional readers, so I will first summarize the context and rationale:

The etiology of autism is not well understood; a variety of causes are
suspected, and certain syndromes (eg, fragile X) are known as
capable of inducing autistic-like traits. Currently, the NIH is funding
research into genetic indicators associated with autism, even as a goodly
number of parents and private physicians and others are developing data
suggesting that additional factors need be considered.

I believe that the manuscript may be a highly significant contribution to
understanding the etiology of autism, in at least a subset of autistics
and quite possibly a large subset. The author (Ellen R Bolte) and I are
now ready to seek some additional readers to peruse the manuscript --
which is the reason for this e-mail.

Ellen has recently submitted a near-final draft of the paper to an
established journal and has several weeks to collect some poignant
criticisms and modify the manuscript accordingly.

The title of the manuscript is:

              Autism and Clostridium tetani: an hypothesis
                              Ellen R Bolte

                                  *****

The basic rationale of Ellen's paper includes but is not limited to the
following points:

Synaptobrevins are gene-encoded molecules that span the membranes of
synaptic vesicles and participate in neuronal signaling.  Toxins from
Clostridium tetani are known to incapacitate synaptobrevin function on
synaptic vesicles.  Although generally we think of tetanus as a severe
illness resulting from C. tetani infections, medical literature indicates
that subacute infections can occur, even in persons who have been
immunized against tetanus.  Furthermore, already in the literature are
studies documenting retrograde axonal, transsynaptic transport of C.
tetani toxin from peripheral sources, via the spinal cord and sympathetic
nervous system, to various brain regions known to be affected in autism.

Ellen's basic hypothesis is that subacute Clostridium tetani infections,
localized in the intestine or elsewere, would generate sufficient toxin so
as to induce autism and autistic-like traits in persons so infected. The
well-documented facts that subacute C. tetani infections occur and that
C. tetani toxin trans-axonally migrates toward various parts of the
brain and then deleteriously affects synaptobrevin function suggests
that Ellen's hypothesis may well be valid.

                                  *****

The above statements are just part of the rationale and are here presented
to convey a sense of the content and argument so that listees can decide
whether or not they would like to peruse such a challenging but very well
documented manuscript.

Consider Ellen's hypothesis at a most basic level: if a person's synaptic
vesicles have loss of function due to toxin-destroyed synaptobrevins, then
many aspects of perception and of responses to perception would be
disabled, thereby inducing autistic-like traits or even autism.

                                  *****

If you are interested in reading her manuscript during the next several
weeks and would communicate to us your critique and/or suggestions, please
contact me directly by e-mail and I will e-mail a copy to you.

Teresa
                         Teresa.Binstock@uchsc.edu

        Teresa C. Binstock, Researcher
        Developmental & Behavioral Neuroanatomy
        B140 The Children's Hospital
        1056 E. 19th Avenue
        Denver CO USA
        80218

              Autism and Clostridium tetani: an hypothesis.
                              Ellen R Bolte
                             copyright  1996
                          manuscript  submitted

          Because this posting describes and summarizes a
          manuscript that has been recently submitted, this e-
          mail's contents are copyrighted by:

                           Teresa C. Binstock
                                   and
                              Ellen R Bolte

eof

I have an assignment to interview a geneticist in the San Francisco Bay Area.
 If you can direct me to one I would really appreciate it.  The entire
project needs to be completed by 10/28/96, so I would like to do the
interview as soon as possible, no later than 10/10/96.  Thanks.

Rebecca Child
San Mateo High School

Contact me at BChild888@AOL.com

This  message  was originally  submitted  by  cwong@GPU.SRV.UALBERTA.CA to  the
HUM-MOLGEN list at  NIC.SURFNET.NL.

Dear Dr. Bergen:

        I'd like to make a statement regarding my post on the HUM-MOLGEN
newsgroup (under the topic BIOT) which was released on Fri, 13 Sept 1996.

        The purpose of my post was purely for calling for help from other
researchers. I believe everyone understands that getting wrong cDNA clones
constantly makes research tougher than it should be. In fact, I still
couldn't get one cDNA clone from either distributor (Genome Systems and
ATCC). I've tried to e-mail Washington-Merck EST center, but I got no
reply. As a result, I tried to get help from HUM-MOLGEN newsgroup. I would
just like an indication of how often the Image clone themselves have been
incorrect.

        In my last post I did not intend to imply that either Genome
Systems or ATCC is a "bad" IMAGE cDNA clone distributor. In fact, we still
have business with these two companies. If my last post caused any damage
to the reputation of either company, I would like to offer my sincere
apology.

Sincerely,

Andrew Wong
Grad Student, University of Alberta

>From hx25@DIAL.PIPEX.COMFri Oct 11 14:07:48 1996
Subject: CALL: Gene Therapy in India

This message was originally submitted  by hx25@DIAL.PIPEX.COM to the HUM-MOLGEN
list at NIC.SURFNET.NL.

I am a freelance journalist working on an article for Nature
Biotechnology on gene therapy research in India. I would be very
grateful if anyone could let me know of people working in this area
in India, and perhaps let me know how I can contact them, fax,
e-mail or telephone. I understand that work is taking place at the
Tata Memorial Centre in Bombay on the treatment of oral cancer, but I
have been unable to get any details about this. A fax or e-mail
number for the centre would be great.

Thank you

Sylvia Davidson

>From 102367.3530@COMPUSERVE.COMFri 14:07:55 1996

I am interested in attendig meetings and/or symposia on the subject of prenatal
genetic diagnosis. Does anybody have a schedule of upcoming events in this
field?
Thanks in advance for the info.
Simon Goldbard, Ph.D.
102367.3530@compuserve.com

CGENONI@OSINET.NET (c.G.) sent the following comments:

1.WHY ARE FEWER PARACENTRIC THAN PERICENTRIC INVERSIONS
REPORTED IN THE MEDICAL LITERATURE?

2.WHY IS IT MUCH EASIER TO ESTABLISH TRUE-BREEDING STABLE LINES OF
TETRASOMIC ORGANISMS THAN OF TRISOMIC ONES?

IF HAVE ANY INFORMATION FOR THE ABOVE QUESTIONS, PLEASE LET ME
KNOW. I WOULD APPRECIATE IT VERY MUCH. THANK-YOU.

C.G.
Server protocol: HTTP/1.0
Remote host: OsiDial04.osiris.com
Remote IP address: 204.50.132.80

From: Judith M King <jking@WORLD.STD.COM>

I am looking for any data that has been collected on the following:
        genetic education of primary care physicians and the general
        public
        general public's perception of genetics and genetic testing
        primary care physicians' understanding of genetics and genetic
        testing
Info to be used for educational purposes.  All information is welcome.
Thanks.

Judith King                                     PHONE:  508-872-8400 X2513
Education/Communications                        FAX:    508-872-5663
Genzyme Genetics

ingrid@ruly46.medfac.leidenuniv.nl (Ingrid Stec) sent the following comments:

Dear Sir,
dear Madam,
I am working in the field of 4p- syndromes, especially Wolf-Hirschhorn
Syndrome (WHS) and Pitt-Rogers-Danks Syndrome (PRDS) to delineate the
critical gene region of these syndromes.
Therefore, I am looking for patient material of patients with either
apparently no deletion (not visible with the common cytogenetic methods)
with a WHS or PRDS phenotype, WHS/PRDS patients with small deletions, but
also patients with a WHS/PRDS phenotype due to an unbalanced (or
balanced) translocation where one of the breakpoints could be (likely) inbetween
the critical gene region of WHS/PRDS.

Thank you very much.

Please contact:
Ingrid Stec
Anthropogenetica
Sylvius laboratory
Wassenaarseweg 72
2333 AL Leiden
Niederlande

Server protocol: HTTP/1.0
Remote host: ruly48.MedFac.LeidenUniv.nl
Remote IP address: 132.229.2.48