  Jurg Ott: COMP: Software question - Mathematica

To: Multiple recipients of list HUM-MOLGEN <HUM-MOLGEN@NIC.SURFNET.NL>
Subject: COMP: Software question - Mathematica
From: Jurg Ott <ott@linkage.cpmc.columbia.edu>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 09:36:56 -0400

From: Frederick C. Monson, Ph.D. <monson@MAIL.MED.UPENN.EDU>

At 05:29 PM 6/11/96 -0400, you wrote:
>From: Michael Jones <mdjones@WOLFRAM.COM>
>
>As part of Wolfram Research's continuing efforts to enhance the utility of
>Mathematica in engineering practice and education, I have been given the task
>of understanding as much as possible about technical software usage in the
>engineering community. As a result, I'd very much like to know whether you
>currently use Mathematica,

NO.  MAPLE, MATHCAD AND SCIENTIST.

> and if not, what kind of software, if any, you
>use for calculation, analysis

JANDEL SIGMASTAT, SIGMAPLOT,
modeling or visualization.
SCIENTIST, MAPLE, THOSE WHO REALLY KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING!

> I would also be
>very grateful for any suggestions you might have about Mathematica and
>its role in the engineering community.

I WOULD HAVE PURCHASED MATHEMATICA FROM OUR BOOKSTORE IF ITS PRICE HAD BEEN
EVEN CLOSE TO COMPETITIVE.  THE MARKETING PROBLEM IS SIMPLE.  IF IT CAN'T DO
100 EVERYDAY THINGS THAT THE OTHERS CAN'T DO, THEN IT SHOULD BE PRICED TO
COMPETE FOR A MARKET SHARE MERITED BY THE SEVERAL THINGS IT DOES DO BETTER.
OF COURSE, IT WOULD BE WORTH ANYTHING IF IT COULD TRANSFORM AN ARITHMATICIAN
INTO A MATHEMATICIAN!!!!  THAT I SUSPECT WOULD BE IN THE INTERFACE.

Frederick C. Monson, Ph.D.
Division of Urology
Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
3010 Ravdin Courtyard
3400 Spruce Street
Philadelphia, PA, 19104-4283
Phone:  215-662-6870