  Carlo Gambacorti: DIAG: 3 messages

To: Multiple recipients of list HUM-MOLGEN <HUM-MOLGEN@NIC.SURFNET.NL>
Subject: DIAG: 3 messages
From: Carlo Gambacorti <GAMBACORTI@icil64.cilea.it>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 1996 15:02:45 MET-DST

           HUM-MOLGEN  DIAGnostics/Clinical Research

This DIAG message contains 3 submessage(s):

1)   Prostate cancer family/reply

2)   Chromosomal translocations/reply addendum

3)   Note to people who previously posted inside DIAG

  Carlo Gambacorti MD, Editor,
  Human Molecular Genetics network
  Diagnostics/Clinical Research Section

>[We are currently working with a family with numerous members with
>prostate cancer spanning three generations. They (and we) are highly
>motivated to pursue linkage analysis. Are there any groups interested
>in helping with this project? Contributing other families? Ideas?
>
>Jose A Bufill MD
>Hereditary Cancer Program
>Elkhart Clinic
>Elkhart, IN, USA
>jabufill@skyenet.net]

We are looking at mutations in a gene which may be involved in familial
prostate cancer..would you be interested in a collaboration that would
allow us to quickly scan your proband for mutations.

John C. Law, Ph.D.
Department of Human Genetics
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA 15261

law@hoffman.mgen.pitt.edu

Date sent:  3-JAN-1996 09:05:04

>Where can I find a catalogue of described chromosome translocations?
>

>COLD SPRING HARBOR LABORATORY
>1 Bungtown Road
>Cold Spring Harbor, NY 11724
(largely contributed by Martin Kennedy)
For cancer the definitive source is Mitelman's (4th ed - though may be a more
recent edition) "Catalog of chromosome aberrations in cancer", 1991,
Wiley Liss  ISBN 0-471-56087-1

The hard-copy Human Gene Mapping publications have tables of
translocations; the last one we have is HGM 11 (1991). Cytogenet.
Cell Genet. 58:1-2200.  I think there may have been one more book
publication, but I believe that the electronic version (GDB - see
below) is now the exclusive repository of this information.

Also a review on CT was published in Nature, 372, 143-149, 1994.

Alternatively, try the following online sources:

CAD

The Chromosome Abnormality Database (CAD) stores records of human
chromosome abnormalities, and can be freely searched.
Established in early 1991, the CAD contains  records of acquired
and constitutional chromosome abnormalities from cytogenetics
laboratories throughout the United Kingdom. The database includes
information on the availability of cell lines and other stored
material.

WWW: http://www.hgmp.mrc.ac.uk/local-data/Cad_Preamble.html
Gopher: gopher.hgmp.mrc.ac.uk (go to "HGMP Databases/" directory).

GDB (Genome Database)

A comprehensive, fully searchable repository of human gene
mapping information, cross referenced to other relevant databases
including OMIM and the Genome Sequence Data Bank.  May be worth
searching for info on specific translocations.

WWW: http://gdbwww.gdb.org/gdbhome.html
Gopher: gopher.gdb.org (in  "Search Databases at Hopkins" directory)
E-mail server: mailserv@gdb.org
Anonymous ftp: ftp://ftp.gdb.org/

OMIM (Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man)

Subtitled  "A catalog of human genes and genetic disorders", this
is the electronic form of Victor McKusick's extraordinary
compilation, Mendelian Inheritance in Man (McKusick, 1994;
Pearson et al., 1994).  It contains a wealth of data on human
genetic traits and inheritance patterns, and each disease entry
consists of a comprehensive literature review with full cross
referencing to other relevant databases.

WWW: http://gdbwww.gdb.org/gdbhome.html
Gopher: gopher.gdb.org (in  "Search Databases at Hopkins" directory)
E-mail server: mailserv@gdb.org

NOTE TO PEOPLE WHO PREVIOUSLY POSTED REQUESTS INSIDE
DIAG

A survey is being conducted on the average feedback DIAG messages receive.
     If you posted a message inside DIAG in the last year, please provide us
this information:

- subject of the posting;
- # of replies received;
- whether the replies you received were (or not [higher or lower ?]) in the
range you expected.

Thank you for your collaboration !