  Bergen (ioi): CALL: various - March 96

To: Multiple recipients of list HUM-MOLGEN <HUM-MOLGEN@NIC.SURFNET.NL>
Subject: CALL: various - March 96
From: "Bergen (ioi)" <A.A.Bergen@AMC.UVA.NL>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 14:17:10 +0200

Note from the editor:

New CALLs!
With a single E-mail you can now reach over ***3500*** colleagues from
***60*** countries world-wide, with an interest in genetics and molecular
biology, for free!

The CALL section is open for CALLs for collaborations, info requests
(only for info which cannot obtained easily elsewhere),
offers of assistance, grant deadline CALLs, CALLs for papers, etc.
Occaisionally, replies will be posted at the end of this file.

Please send high quality messages only, including your full name,
institute and E-mail adress. Please respond to a CALL by private E-mail
only, unless your reply is of interest to the entire HUM-MOLGEN community.
The editor may refuse low-quality messages without further notice!

Good CALLs!

Arthur Bergen
(owner HUM-MOLGEN)

From: Bert Gold <bgold@ITSA.UCSF.EDU>

This message was originally submitted  by bgold@ITSA.UCSF.EDU to the HUM-MOLGEN
list at NIC.SURFNET.NL.

Netters,

You may be interested in reading an article written for general audiences
entitled "Trends in Human Genetics: Vital Data" on pages 100-105 of the
March 1996 Scientific American by staff writer Tim Beardsley.

Not only does it contain excellent photographs of Francis (Collins)
sitting on his motorcycle [sorry Francis...] and Bill Haseltine
looking dapper in his best combed hair and new suit [sorry Bill],
but it also contains a worthwhile overview of the ELSI controversies
currently surrounding the genome project.

As most of you know I have rather strong opinions on most of these
issues, so I will spare you my repeating my feelings here;
nevertheless, I would say that this article by Beardsley is
a must read for anyone who wishes to understand human genetics today,
and as it is to be practiced into the future.

Bert Gold, Ph.D.
University of California, San Francisco
School of Medicine
Program in Medical Genetics

PS - Bill and Francis, I think you both look very fine in the article
     and hope that you find my remarks (at least a little) jocular.
      - Bert
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 1996 00:16:23 -0500 (EST)
From: DIREC PAUL G TOMEY <ZJVA47A@prodigy.com>

This message was originally submitted  by ZJVA47A@PRODIGY.COM to the HMG-MOLGEN
list at NIC.SURFNET.NL.

My 4 yr old son demonstrates the ability to roll the tongue into the
familiar "u" shape--of this I am certain.  I am equally certain that
neither his mom nor myself are "rollers".  I understand this is
impossible.

His mom has cleft pallet, and received several surgical operations
for this condition in early childhood.

Is the cleft pallet, or surgery, or neither responsible for an
inability to express this otherwise dominant trait?

Or should I doubt my paternity?

I would appreciate a response at your earliest convenience.

Thanks so much.

Paul

Date: Fri, 08 Mar 1996 11:42:02 +0000 (GMT)
From: MIKE OWEN <WPCMJO@CARDIFF.AC.UK>

This message was originally submitted by WPCMJO@CARDIFF.AC.UK to the HUM-MOLGEN
list at NIC.SURFNET.NL.

We are interested in receiving DNA from individuals with
hyperekplexia and other startle syndromes for mutation analysis of
GLRA1. Sporadic as well as familial cases are of interest since we
have found reccessive as well as dominant cases due to mutations in
GLRA1.
Mike Owen
Depts. of Psychological Medicine and Medical Genetics,
University of Wales College of Medicine,
Heath Park,
Cardiff CF4 4XN,
UK.
Tel. 44 1222 743248