  Carlo Gambacorti: DIAG: re need to report citations/HIV appropriateness for HMG

To: Multiple recipients of list HUM-MOLGEN <HUM-MOLGEN@NIC.SURFNET.NL>
Subject: DIAG: re need to report citations/HIV appropriateness for HMG
From: Carlo Gambacorti <GAMBACORTI@icil64.cilea.it>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 1995 14:07:41 MET-DST

           HUM-MOLGEN  DIAGnostics/Clinical Research

This DIAG message contains 2 submessage(s):

1)   Wm. Kimberling Ph.D./ Need of reporting citations in e-mail replies

2)   Chris Friedrich, M.D., Ph.D./ HIV issue inappropriate for HMG

+ replies from the editor

  Carlo Gambacorti MD, Editor,
  Human Molecular Genetics network
  Diagnostics/Clinical Research Section

Carlo,
This communication is just to let you know that I appreciated your moderating
and appropriate comments regarding HIV transmission and mosquitoes.  Hopefully,
more respondents to you bulletin board will realize the necessity of adequately
citing research that support their conclusions.  The first two responses
(Friedrich and Covitz) were not really convincing..they left certain questions
open.  Your addendum filled in the missing pieces.
If electronic bulletin boards and e-mail are to become new, and worthwhile,
mediums of scientific communication, then some of the tried and true 'rules' of
scientific communication in journals (e.g. citations) should continue to be
followed.
Bill