  Hans Goerl: ETHI: Genetic counselors

To: Multiple recipients of list HUM-MOLGEN <HUM-MOLGEN@NIC.SURFNET.NL>
Subject: ETHI: Genetic counselors
From: Hans Goerl <GENETHICS@delphi.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 1995 20:50:46 -0400

This ETHI message contains 4  subsections: Each is a response to the same
original post.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

1. From: Graeme Suthers <gsuthers@MAD.ADELAIDE.EDU.AU>

    The Human Genetics Society of Australasia has a comprehensive training
    and accreditation program for Genetic Counsellors. What we lack are the
    funds to employ more graduates of this program in our genetic clinics!

    You could obtain further details of the program from Secretary of the
    HGSA.

    HGSA Secretariat
    Sydney House
    556 Crown Street
    Surry Hills
    NSW 2010
    AUSTRALIA

    tel 61-2-319 4893
    fax 61-2-698 8121

    Yours sincerely,

    Graeme Suthers
    Dr Graeme Suthers                  tel   (int)-61-8-204 7375
    Department of Medical Genetics     fax   (int)-61-8-204 6088
    Women's & Children's Hospital
    North Adelaide SA 5006
    AUSTRALIA
    <<<            email: gsuthers@medicine.adelaide.edu.au            >>>
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
2.
The situation in the Netherlands is pretty well organized although here
too we will be facing a shortage of genetic counsellors, given the
developments ahead. The Netherlands are subdivided into seven regions,
which each have their own Clinical Genetic Center, staffed by several
counsellors. MDs can enter a special training of 2 years after which they
will obtain their officially acknowledged "Clinical Geneticist" mark.
Genetic testing by institutes other than the Clinical Genetic Centers and
their associated DNA laboratories is strictly forbidden here, and it is
therefore impossible to commercialize this activity in the Netherlands.
Consequently, the DNA test is part of the Nathional Health Insurance
Program, and counsellees will not have to pay for it themselves (unless
there is no medical indication and they insist on having it). Currently,
the seven DNA laboratories are implementing the same standards as used in
forensic laboratories. I hope this gives some fuel to the discussion.

Dr. Peter Devilee                    Dept. of Human Genetics
Direct tel.: +31 71 27 61 17         Wassenaarseweg 72
Fax: +31 71 27 60 75                 2333 AL Leiden - The Netherlands

                    UNIVERSITY OF LEIDEN

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

3.
From: Osman El-maarri <elmaari@BOUN.EDU.TR>

Here in Turkey at the department of Molecular biology and genetics
(Bogazici University-Istanbul) we are offering different Prenatal diagnosis
programs for different common inherited deseases (like cystic fibrosis,
hemophilia, DMD,...etc)

Osman El-Maarri
Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics
Bogazici University-Istanbul
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
4.
From: Carlo Gambacorti <GAMBACORTI@icil64.cilea.it>