  Hans Goerl: ETHI: 2 messages

To: Multiple recipients of list HUM-MOLGEN <HUM-MOLGEN@NIC.SURFNET.NL>
Subject: ETHI: 2 messages
From: Hans Goerl <GENETHICS@delphi.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 1995 09:55:13 -0500

Subj:   ETHI: Development of Bioethics Curriulum

From: Michael Rossi <rossimj@CHARGER.NEWHAVEN.EDU>

I am trying to add a bioethics component to a graduate cellular
and molecular biology program.  I need advice on ways in which
to do this.  It  would be preferable to have this component be
developed with in the context of existing courses, but our past
attempts have not been as successful as I would have hoped.
I would welcome comments from anyone with insight into this issue.

Michael Rossi
University of New Haven
rossimj@charger.newhaven.edu

EDITOR's NOTE: Perhaps somebody who has developed such a curriculum could
post it to HUM-MOLGEN web site or to the list. The Kennedy Bioethics
Institute has published a series of scope notes on most of the important
issues: they are available on the web and would seem to be a suitable
starting point for a formal curriculum at any level.-HG

********* RE: ETHI, MUTIPLEX SCREENING

27-NOV-1995 10:48:20.92
From: Gary Swergold <swergold@BOX-S.NIH.GOV>

There is a very simple and important need for multiplex genetic screening
that has so far gone un-noticed here.

The cost of screeening for rare disorders is very high, partly because each
test must be run separately.  Inother words, there is a set up cost for
every test whether one is doing one test or 50 tests.  If one could combine
the tests for 50 people, each with a separate rare disorder, the set up
cost for each of them would go down and the cost of testing for rare
disorders would become more economical.

Gary Swergold M.D., Ph.D.
Food & Drug Administration
Center for Biologics Evaluation & Research
Division of Cell & Gene Therapy Regulation
HFM 515
1401 Rockville Pike
Rockville,  Maryland 20852-1448
V: (301)827-0667