- International Coalition to Fund Autism Genetics Research
An international public/private partnership of government health agencies and private advocacy organizations has committed more than $21 million for research to identify the genes associated with autism spectrum disorders.
- New Neurons Born In Adult Rat Cortex
NIMH scientists have found newly born neurons that communicate via the chemical messenger GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid) in adult rat cortex, and striatum.
- Bone Density Appears To Recover After Adolescents Discontinue Injected Contraceptive
Lower bone density appears to recover in adolescent females once they stop using the injected contraceptive depot medroxyprogesterone acetate (DMPA).
- DNA Vaccine Banishes TB
A new gene therapy approach could help completely eliminate the infection that causes one of the world's biggest killers – tuberculosis (TB).
- No Longer Bird Brains
Researchers compared parts of birds' brains with the brains of other animals, including mammals, and concluded that much of a bird's brain are responsible for carrying out advanced functions like those in mammals.
- The Truth About Antidepressants And Suicide
The current controversy over the link between antidepressants and suicidal behaviour in children shouldn't ignore the risks of not treating the disease.
- Seeing The Forest Or The Trees
Left- and right-handers also use different parts of the brain to focus on the whole versus the parts of a visual stimulus
- New Function For Pacemaker Neurons
Circadian pacemaker neurons transmit and modulate visual information to control a rapid behavioral response
- Researchers Find New Genes Necessary To Make Embryo
New genes with roles in the C. elegans embryo revealed using RNAi of ovary-enriched ORFeome clones
- Discovery Promises Simpler Therapy For Sickle Cell Disease
Impaired vasodilation by red blood cells in sickle cell disease
- Viral DNA Sequence A Possible Trigger For Breast Cancer
MMTV Env encodes an ITAM responsible for transformation of mammary epithelial cells
- Search and Destroy: A New Mechanism Of Regulating RNA Degradation
Mammalian Staufen1 Recruits Upf1 to Specific mRNA 3'UTRs so as to Elicit mRNA Decay
- Protein Stops Growth Of Brain Tumor, OHSU Study Shows
Herstatin, an autoinhibitor of the epidermal growth factor receptor family, blocks the intracranial growth of glioblastoma
- Blood Test Shows Promise As Monitor For Antiangiogenic Cancer Therapy
Genetic heterogeneity of the vasculogenic phenotype parallels angiogenesis
- First U.S. Kidney Cancer Vaccine Trial Underway
In the study, patients with stage IV renal cell carcinoma are given regular doses of an investigational kidney cancer vaccine, called Trovax, in conjunction with Interleukin-2 (IL-2).
- New Inherited Disease Can Cause Early Aortic Rupture
A syndrome of altered cardiovascular, craniofacial, neurocognitive and skeletal development caused by mutations in TGFBR1 or TGFBR2.
- How Many Comparative Genomes Are Enough?
A model of the statistical power of comparative genome sequence analysis.
- Scientists Find Genome Structure Responsible for Gene Activation
Genomic maps and comparative analysis of histone modifications in human and mouse